4.10 gears top speed

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
FWIW....

I had 275/40r18's, 4.10 gears and and was putting down 332/319 hp/tq. It took me every bit of 2 miles to get to my top speed of 174 mph. I got to 150 mph in about 1/2 mile. It took the other 1.5 miles to milk the last of it out.

You should also get a functional chin spoiler like the CDC agressive with the 2 center support rods. My nose was very light and all over the place.

BTW, bring clean draws with you. 150+ on street tires and suspension is some very scary shit.

lol yah i know it is

i ran my car up to about 160 and back down it wasn't to bad but i think it will be better on an air strip

btw how do u know you got to 174

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
The first time I did it I guessed. With that setup, in 5th gear my car went 30 mph for every 1000 rpm. I got to just below 6k. The second time I data logged it. Just cuz the speed-o stops, the computer doesn't stop keeping track.

It's been a while, but I'll see if I can find the log and do a screen shot.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Call Saleen and get one of these . If you ever top this out , I want to hear about it !

Last edited:

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
One January while being stoooooopid, a nemisous SS Camaro and I were getting up on the Interstate ramp. He would usually bust my ass from 70 on. He had a set of heads, cam, gears,LT and etc. I had just installed the UL Steeda Springs, D-SPEC'S, Alum DS and LT O/R H. I couldn't couldn't prevent myself from getting a little pay back. Hell I was old enuff to be his old man but I did'nt care.

We hit the ramp and had to wait for the the traffic to clear abit. It was really cold that day...30 ish. Once on the interstate I saw the puff of smoke from his exhaust so I nailed it. The next thing I know I bounced of the rev limiter hard, the car fell on its face (130mph) but made a good shift to 5th. The car didn't let up. I was on his ass all the way but very slightly gaining on his tail and had to pull out of the draft and that is were I was glad the suspension mods payed off. I made a peek at the Tach and it was sitting between 5500-5600. Later checking my rpm calculator which converteded to 159 mph. Of course the MPH gage doesn't read off. The car was planted to the ground and still slowly moving up the tach. With 4:10 N/A it gets to 140 mph pretty fast but still accelerates in 5th. With 3:55 this would not even happen, it's only an overdrive gear with 3"55's.

The suspension mods made the car very reactive like a go cart so you reallllly need to be aware. It will actually slap your head off of the door window if you cut to hard.

BTW tires are 27" Nittos 555 Extremes.

Last edited:

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
Call Saleen and get one of these . If you ever top this out , I want to hear about it !

I have this. :naughty1:

get-attachmentaspx.jpg

Too bad I can't put it in my dad's car. :(

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the 4.10s lower your top speed... but increase the time you can run to lower speeds... basically... you will be in overdrive (5th) by 120mph, and from there move up really slowly (comparatively)... thats the basic way of explaining it lol... check out 3.73s if you must increase your gears, and want the best of both worlds... i have 4.10s and while i love them for 1/4 mile speeds, after that i dont like them...

crock...u have 4.10s...don't you ever wind it up to 6k rpm in 4th?

Yeah looks like 4.10s max out 4th at around 135-140mph

I go to 6k rpm in 4th every day with 4.10s and basically stock tire size (GT500 wheels/tires). 6k rpm in 4th is ~119 mph

nobody runs 135-140 in fourth gear with a regular 6.5 - 7.0 rpm and somewhere near a 27 inch tall tire ! (lol) half the people in here are just spouting shit !

that's about the first bit of truth I've read yet on this thread! I've given this subject a lot of thought in the past. The theoretical top speed in 5th with 4.10s is at the HP peak, which is ~5500 with a stock cam. 5th gear at 5500 rpm is 158 mph with my tires, 159 mph with stock sized tires. Whether you get there or not will depend on whether you have enough HP to overcome the effect of aero drag, which increases exponentially with speed.

Last edited:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
that's about the first bit of truth I've read yet on this thread! I've given this subject a lot of thought in the past. The theoretical top speed in 5th with 4.10s is at the HP peak, which is ~5500 with a stock cam. 5th gear at 5500 rpm is 158 mph with my tires, 159 mph with stock sized tires. Whether you get there or not will depend on whether you have enough HP to overcome the effect of aero drag, which increases exponentially with speed.

That sounds right, but you also need to have enough HP to overcome the drag and weight. If you don't have 300+ at the wheels, it's not gonna happen regardless of the tires or gears. Shoot, with the 332 I had and peaking at 6200 rpm, I barely squeaked 16 mph more than that, and I never hit my graphed peak HP. I came about 300 RPM short.

I forgot if I got this from Don W or 2k05gt, but it is pretty cool and the numbers are pretty close to what I measured...

http://fiveguysracing.com/marc/RPM_vs_Speed.xls

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
That sounds right, but you also need to have enough HP to overcome the drag and weight. If you don't have 300+ at the wheels, it's not gonna happen regardless of the tires or gears. Shoot, with the 332 I had and peaking at 6200 rpm, I barely squeaked 16 mph more than that, and I never hit my graphed peak HP. I came about 300 RPM short.

I forgot if I got this from Don W or 2k05gt, but it is pretty cool and the numbers are pretty close to what I measured...

http://fiveguysracing.com/marc/RPM_vs_Speed.xls

That xls spreadsheet is what I got from Don over three years ago and have used it religiously to insure I didn't over tire my power outpput. On a Mustang dyno the car put down 334rhp & 352 rtq, Dyno jet # were slightly lower with HTO'S. Thats'a bout as good as it gets untill cam's/heads/ & ground effect goodies. F/I is a whole different game.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back