NSR CAM Problems any Ideas?

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well I went to the track last weekend with perfect air, DA -1100, Last year I was able to run 12.299 @ 110 and 12.32 @ 109 with 1.7 60' in the same DA, this year I added CAMS (Comp 127200 NSR) The Best I could do this weekend was 12.72 @ 105 1.89 60'. The Car will not launch hard, I stall to 3000 RPM and out of the hole the car launches in slomo, until 4000 RPM then it takes off.

Earlier in the morning I could only get 12.9 runs at 104 with 1.9 60' I added 4 deg timing down low and got a 12.8, I went and maxed timing on global and got the 12.7 My A/F was 12.9 WOT

I have checked the plugs and they are fine, I replaced them last year.

I am stumped and so is Doug. I have tried everything to resolve the problem, I sent him my datalog file Does anyone have any idea's. I can't beleive that Cams made me loose 4 tenths at the track and 4 mph.

Current Mods -
JLT II CAI (BamaChips 93 Tune)
Comp Cams 127200 NSR
Steeda UDP's
Steeda CMDP
JBA Long Tube Headers
JBA Catted X-pipe
FRPP GTA Mufflers
FRPP 4.10 Gears
Spyder Aluminum DS
TCI Super Street Fighter 3500 Converter
CHE Lower Control Arm
Steeda Adj UCA
LPW Differential Cover Girdle
Eaton TrueTrac Locker
275/50x17 M&H Drag Radials

Attachments

• 110709-datalog.csv.txt
    126.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

06GTMustang89

Corner Carver
Reaction score
with aftermarket cams you need to launch 5K+ since your powerband is higher now...i had the same problem launching at only 4K could only pull a 1.75' 60' in april...ive had all the local performance shops tell me this piece of info just wish i had the tires to handle that 5K+ launch haha

shift points need to be at 6500rpms now also...youll find that sweet spot again man..im in search of it still...and i thought my 12.67 at 109mph was bad...

Last edited:

06GTMustang89

Corner Carver
Reaction score
He's auto... Can only launch as high a TC.

yeah i knew that was goign to be pointless me saying that hahaha damnit...

i need to broaden my knowledge on autos :ugh1:

well shit i dont know what to say then lol...terry has an auto with the same cams and got a 12.5 at 108 with the stock converter i believe maybe he can chime in...

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Try right off idle and "flash" the converter

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Try right off idle and "flash" the converter

Yea the same problem, it feels like the something is holding back the car, It even does it on the street under a light peddle you can feel like the engine is struggling to get power then it takes off.

Here is my Dyno Before Cams

07-15-08Dyno.jpg

Here is the most recent Dyno with the CAMS
10-15-09Dyno.jpg

I don't really see much of a difference in the power band

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i would say try another tune(r) I think my car gets off the line pretty good for no suspension except for LCA's and a stock converter. man it really sounds like the tune

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That sucks 2k. I know you posted earlier about having this same problem. Sorry I can't be of any help.

Yea but I finally got to the track to datalog. The previous issue was the dyno tune from last year without cams ran rich 11.0 WOT then Doug fixed it but I still have the issue.

So I had a Local Mustang Shop Tune it and I have the same issue. so I can't figure out why the car will not move off the line.

I am ready to Pull the damn things and put the stockers back in.

i would say try another tune(r) I think my car gets off the line pretty good for no suspension except for LCA's and a stock converter. man it really sounds like the tune

Yes it does, but I have had a local Dyno Tuner and Doug take a crack at it with no results. I really think it needs more timing added to the tune but I have asked doug to do it and he will not respond.

The Datalog attached on post 1 has the Spark advanced as maxed out as I can on the tuner. and Doug days the Spark looks fine. Thats why I asked to give me more timing.

I was Running 12.3-4 average last year at 109 average so somthing is wrong.

Last edited:

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
2K have you tried a JDM tune. Doc (Hawgman) said he was having kind of the same problems and it was the t/c part of the tune that was effed up. He got a JDM tune and now ( i rode in his car) it is a BEAR

2NY

icedesign
Reaction score
Did they give you a WHOLE NEW tune or just tweak doug's? an email tune wont do shit for you after a cam install. I would use that just to get to the dyno and have them make you a brand new one.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^ I think he's already tried several tuners. In one thread he said he spent atleast $500 in tunes.

Actually closer to 900.00 in tunes. My Car Loves timing and tuners are afraid to give it up.

Did they give you a WHOLE NEW tune or just tweak doug's? an email tune wont do shit for you after a cam install. I would use that just to get to the dyno and have them make you a brand new one.

Dougs is tweeked, I did get a whole new tune from Excessive.
I got a Dyno Tune From Doug Last July and we used that as a baseline since my only changes were the Converter and Cams and he said that you do not need a tune for NSR Cams, yet I was running real rich with Dougs dyno tune.
He took the fuel settings from Excessives Dyno tune and applied them to his Dyno Tune, it fixed the Air Fuel issue but not the Bog off the line.

Last edited:

06GTMustang89

Corner Carver
Reaction score
your having the same problem as me with these cams and the tune haha...the top end seems like its falling off...you should be at 108 with that 1/8th mph...and you were getting 110...

I agree with you on the fact that with these cams we need more timing...ill have to ask about this when i get on the dyno with dougs new tune he sending..

Casey4s

forum member
Reaction score
This just doesn't make sense to me especially after you got it Dynoed and tuned by Chris at Excessive. I wonder if others are having the same kind of results with the NSR cams. Maybe it would be a good idea to contact the cam manufacturer and describe the problems maybe they have a few tuning tips they could give you.

Good luck...

06GTMustang89

Corner Carver
Reaction score
This just doesn't make sense to me especially after you got it Dynoed and tuned by Chris at Excessive. I wonder if others are having the same kind of results with the NSR cams. Maybe it would be a good idea to contact the cam manufacturer and describe the problems maybe they have a few tuning tips they could give you.

Good luck...

thats the thing COMP says these cams do not require a tune and they run perfectly fine without one...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back