NSR CAM Problems any Ideas?

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Where did you see an exclamation point? You sure that isn't an "i"?????

He's never going to fix it with us giving him all this crap over it. :roflmao:

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Doug has said he has seen this with three other cars and could never figure it out. they all pulled the cams. I really hate to do that, but with what you said make some sense, what it the average price for custom grinds? can they regrind the Comp cams to save some money? any ideas?
with the Poor economy and all....

I don't think you need a 'custom' grind at all. I think there are already 'off the shelf' cams that will work much better for you. Like I said, talk to any of the shops you trust that do a lot of cam/head combos and let them know your set-up exactly and ask what they recommend. I have a feeling it's going to be the comp or BBR's mid profile with a new spring, but who knows?

Deimos

forum member
Reaction score
Very simple...

Take the cams out of the car and put the stockers back in there for now. Believe me, I've taken more brand new parts off my car than I can count and just part of the learning process.

I do not subscribe to these miracle cam off the shelf gains. I personally believe that the cam is just part of the larger picture of the motor in general and needs to be a synchronized part of the motor taking into account every aspect of the powerplant.

Your case is a perfect example of this. With you being on the stock auto, those are terrible cams for you as they are set-up in the powerband outside of your set-up. To the contrary, you want a cam that hits the hardest in the lower rpm range and then tapers off with rpm. Looking at your dyno - it's easy to see why you are losing ET.

You should send your first dyno (before cams) to someone who sells/makes cams that you believe in and tell them you have an auto and that you want to go as fast as possible with new cams and not just make a bigger peak HP dyno number. Ask what grind they recommend to make your set-up run faster and optimize it. Betcha' they will not recommend the cams you have now.

Not that this pertains to you but another pet peeve of mine is the NSR cams - to me it is an oxymoron especially considering the cam is one piece of the mechanics of your heads and valve train. To think adding one 'nice' piece in the machine and that is going to make the 'machine' work better is silly - especially considering all of the moving parts in the valve train.

So based on what you say here, can you speculate on what setup the Comp 127200 NSR cams would be good for? Watching Scott go through everything he has with these cams has made me wary on cams for the 3v.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So based on what you say here, can you speculate on what setup the Comp 127200 NSR cams would be good for? Watching Scott go through everything he has with these cams has made me wary on cams for the 3v.

Personally, I don't think any of the 'NSR' cams are worth a shit cause I truly believe you need other parts (like a spring) to go a long with the cam to compliment it.

But, based on your question, I would think the cams would better for a manual car with a FI set-up like a TS or nitrous that builds power quickly. I wouldn't put them on an NA car or a centrifugal or large turbo car.

Deimos

forum member
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think any of the 'NSR' cams are worth a shit cause I truly believe you need other parts (like a spring) to go a long with the cam to compliment it.

But, based on your question, I would think the cams would better for a manual car with a FI set-up like a TS or nitrous that builds power quickly. I wouldn't put them on an NA car or a centrifugal or large turbo car.

Interesting. Subscribing to this thread.

aleborjas

forum member
Reaction score
is not cam problems you need to retune the car...
i wich i can show you what i want you to do you need to know a little tuning software i learned a little with CMR because that's waht i have... if you have DS tuner send me the tune (for this kind N/A applications) i'll cam make the changes and you can try it...

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
:xmas:

My opinion is that those cams should work very well for you. Dyno shows tq and hp increased across the board. I have heard of the lag issue you have and have heard of it more than once from one of the tuners you are confident in. Those cams were developed by requests from tuners, specifically Brenspeed. They are exactly the 127300 cams (which seem to be one of the more successful grinds) but have a tick of lift taken out so they can be used NSR. Give Brookspeed or JDM a quick shout and see if they think they can help. Also, throttle bodys may not increase hp with a mild combo like yours but it makes the throttle response 100% better. Might help?

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks,
99.9 % of the people that run the 127200 Cams love them and gain in 1/4 mile times. I personally care about the ET's not Dyno numbers.

I have spent a ton (4 figures) on tunes and non worked. I am stuck, really don't want to pay for another tune unless I know it will work. I thought I had a deal with a tuner here but I have not heard from them so I guess they too do not want to take this issue on.

all the tuners I have paid already have given up, even the local dyno tuner. is it a busy time of year, with holidays and people on vacation? I do not know. I am willing to give anyone a try, but in january if it is not fixed I am going back to stock cams.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
is not cam problems you need to retune the car...
i wich i can show you what i want you to do you need to know a little tuning software i learned a little with CMR because that's waht i have... if you have DS tuner send me the tune (for this kind N/A applications) i'll cam make the changes and you can try it...

I am sorry, I did not understand your request,
(Lo siento, yo no entendía su petición)

07 s197

forum member
Reaction score
Give mike rousch a call at midatlanticperformance.com. He's in richmond, va

804-332-6685

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks,
99.9 % of the people that run the 127200 Cams love them and gain in 1/4 mile times. I personally care about the ET's not Dyno numbers.

I have spent a ton (4 figures) on tunes and non worked. I am stuck, really don't want to pay for another tune unless I know it will work. I thought I had a deal with a tuner here but I have not heard from them so I guess they too do not want to take this issue on.

all the tuners I have paid already have given up, even the local dyno tuner. is it a busy time of year, with holidays and people on vacation? I do not know. I am willing to give anyone a try, but in january if it is not fixed I am going back to stock cams.

I would be willing to help you out with it, If i cant fix it then you wont have to pay me for anything. You can pm me here if you want or send a email to [email protected]

Mike Rousch

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
I am sorry, I did not understand your request,
(Lo siento, yo no entendía su petición)

I speak Spanglish. Aleborjas is saying that your NSR comp cam is not the problem, its your tune. He's willing to explain the fix, but you need to know a little about tuning software, etc. However, if you're using the Diablo Sport (DS) tuner, you can email him your DS tune file for him to review and update it since its a N/A application, so you can try it and see if it remedies your situation.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I speak Spanglish. Aleborjas is saying that your NSR comp cam is not the problem, its your tune. He's willing to explain the fix, but you need to know a little about tuning software, etc. However, if you're using the Diablo Sport (DS) tuner, you can email him your DS tune file for him to review and update it since its a N/A application, so you can try it and see if it remedies your situation.

Thanks LOL I was hoping he could respond in spanish, I did not understand what DS was. I figured out the rest
I have an SCT XCAL II so No help there

I needed to brush up on my Spanish, being that my mother is from Havana, Cuba I should speak better spanish.
BTW know of any good Cuban Resturants in the Northern Virginia Area????

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
BTW know of any good Cuban Resturants in the Northern Virginia Area????

I don't know of any in Northern VA, but you can check out the Cuban Corner Restaurant at 825 Hungerford Drive in Rockville, Maryland. I hear the food is excellent, but a little pricey, but that's subjective. Go for it!

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would be willing to help you out with it, If i cant fix it then you wont have to pay me for anything. You can pm me here if you want or send a email to [email protected]

Mike Rousch

That is a hell of a deal!

I got the same Deal from others but they never seem to work out.

First Was JJ@WMS, he was going to look at it track side, on November 1st, the event was rained out so that never happend,

Then WES@TPS sent me a datalog file for my SCT, I sent him the log files and I have not heard back from him, that was back in November 15th 2009,

Then BBR John stepped up and offered me this same deal on November 23rd 2009, So I sent him the datalogs and he gave some of his input on what is going on, said he would have Chris take a look, but again still no action. I think Chris is real busy during the holidays,

I know it's a gamble for them because if it does not work they spent time on it, I am not looking for any freebees, Like I said I have spent now 4 figures on tunes and none of them work, and the tuners gave up after several tunes. I guess I am being picky but all I really what is a tune that I paid for work.

If these guys decline, I have no hard feelings, like I said it's a gamble for them and I think they are all top notch for stepping up like they did. bottom line is they are in business to make money right.

My options are simple, replace the stock cams and put the Dougs July 08 Dyno Tune in and leave it at that, or sell the car and buy a 2011 5.0 or Camaro SS.

Last edited:

aleborjas

forum member
Reaction score

Thank you jejejeje

talk to LITO he will help you with you X3 he knows what i'm telling you

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks,

2k, I talked to Doug before I did my cam install (came cams) and one thing he mentioned was that "if" I happen to get one tooth off, my car would run, but not good. I am wondering if you (and I don't know how you may have done it) got a tooth off. I didn't use the food tool or garden hose, I put a wire through the cam sprocket hooked a bungie cord tot he wire and and hooked the other end in one othe spokes on my rim so i had good tension on the chain at all times. I dropped about .15 or more in the 1/8 mile and and about .3 in the 1/4 mile. I would take mike up on his offer, if that turns out to be know help then you may have to time the car from scratch. I know that is a pain, or take it to Ford and have them do it for you.........of couse that will hit you in the ass like a 105 howitzer

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back