NSR CAM Problems any Ideas?

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
2k, I talked to Doug before I did my cam install (came cams) and one thing he mentioned was that "if" I happen to get one tooth off, my car would run, but not good. I am wondering if you (and I don't know how you may have done it) got a tooth off. I didn't use the food tool or garden hose, I put a wire through the cam sprocket hooked a bungie cord tot he wire and and hooked the other end in one othe spokes on my rim so i had good tension on the chain at all times. I dropped about .15 or more in the 1/8 mile and and about .3 in the 1/4 mile. I would take mike up on his offer, if that turns out to be know help then you may have to time the car from scratch. I know that is a pain, or take it to Ford and have them do it for you.........of couse that will hit you in the ass like a 105 howitzer

Does anyone know of a procedure to check if the chain is off? ie.. find TDC and the chain marks and phaser should be at the top? .. I marked the Chain and phaser gear before I put in the cams and check them after and they did not move.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well it's Spring and all the Snurt has melted away and our local track opened up this weekend so I tried to contact BBR several times to take them up on their offer to look at my car... They did not.. although WES @ TPS is taking a stab at it, so for the results are simular to Bamachips tune, My best today.
60' - 1.854
330' - 5.278
1/8 - 8.104
MPH - 87.24
1000 - 10.569
1/4 - 12.666
MPH - 107.41

But again the car runs awesome above 4000 RPM it tears up the track, it's coming out of the hole it feels like a constipated turtle.

Remember I ran 12.299 @ 110 before Cams so I lost 3 tents and 3 mph
with this COMP 127200 NSR CAM

I really hate to pull the cams if it's a tune issue. I am sure it's not an install problem since I stared at the cams and phasers all winter long.

But since it looks like WES is not having any luck either. Bummer...

Attachments

• Test1-2 Data logs.zip
    384.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Mick Mach

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
local track..Mason Dixon? sorry bout you loosing ET and mph, that does suck!
I just got the HR cams...hope I dont loose that much. Im more after the sound but I dont want to loose ET.

3vs197

forum member
Reaction score
i didnt read all 5 pages but according to your log your only running 23* of timing which sucks. that should be at least 28*. also you need to change your VCT settings to get the most out of the cams. Right after the cams it didnt feel like they did much but after i adjusted the VCT it made a huge difference. u need to have more retard, like 15-17* max as opposed to the factory 9*, ramp it up from about 4k rpm. and spark global sucks, try to get the timing more precise.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
local track..Mason Dixon? sorry bout you loosing ET and mph, that does suck!
I just got the HR cams...hope I dont loose that much. Im more after the sound but I dont want to loose ET.

No sorry, MIR, opened this weekend

i didnt read all 5 pages but according to your log your only running 23* of timing which sucks. that should be at least 28*. also you need to change your VCT settings to get the most out of the cams. Right after the cams it didnt feel like they did much but after i adjusted the VCT it made a huge difference. u need to have more retard, like 15-17* max as opposed to the factory 9*, ramp it up from about 4k rpm. and spark global sucks, try to get the timing more precise.

Ok, I will pass this on to the tuner.. Since can not change my tune.

He also gave me a tune Called TROFF I have no Idea what that means but here are the logs and Slips

Attachments

• Troff Tune Data logs.zip
    461.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think Wes is going the way of the other guys, Scratching his head in wonder...

Few observations:

Spark advance is where we’re commanding it, around 30-ish degrees. Knock sensors slightly pulling it down which is perfect, we’re running it with what it will take and using the technology to the max.

Cam angle is moving as commanded, to around 17* at WOT upper RPMs, great.

Lockup is locking quick and fast and staying locked.

We are crossing waaay low in 4th – around 5300, does this seem to be about what you are seeing? I really think if we were crossing higher it would go faster. I see 5400 RPM

Those M&H are about 28” tall? Find some 26" tires

This is weird and I’m not sure if it is anything or not. Look at the bank 2 (driver’s) O2 sensor. It doesn’t seem to have the same range as the other bank.

Which bank is your wideband in? Drivers Side

It really seems like it wants more gear or shorter tire!

Wes

For anyone looking for a tune, Wes knows his S%1T for sure, and he's a great guy.
Very Helpful

Last edited:

SirKnightTG

forum member
Reaction score

This is similar info to what FRPP talks about in their Hot Rod cam install guide pdf.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

What Logs are you Looking at? I would look again it clearly has 30Deg easy.

I asked about the chain skipping a tooth and his response made sense to me.. I alway thought that if your chain was a tooth off it would show up in a data log..

I’m leaning towards thinking the cams are ok. The reason for this is that the bank to bank trims are even.

When you have cams out of alignment you will see a difference between the two. Your car is not showing this so I would not think there is an install problem.

Wes

bullitt2086

forum member
Reaction score
why dont you pull the cam covers off and chech the marks you made on the sproket and chain just to make sure that its not the timming. if you do pull the cams i will be more than happy to take them off your hands let me know!

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
why dont you pull the cam covers off and chech the marks you made on the sproket and chain just to make sure that its not the timming. if you do pull the cams i will be more than happy to take them off your hands let me know!

I did that, and they are in the same place.

I just spent 1000 bucks on Racestar front and backs with tires so we will see.

15x10 with 275/50 15 Mickey Thompsons
15x3.75 with 26.0/4.5-15

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back