2005 mustang GT 4.6 Driver side rear piston brake caliper sticking

kingcoy1

Reaction score
Have recently pulled the rear wheel off and brake caliper realizing that the rotor had been run very hot and started wearing unevenly along with the pad on the Piston side of the caliper was completely worn down and uneven so I swapped pads around because the other one was a lot more pad left on it and also sanded down the rotor to make it even and get rid of the scoring and grooves so that the pad would have something to grab onto a little more so you can tell that they ran real hot because the Piston was not disengaging and therefore the pad was always running rubbing on the caliper I mean the rotor so I'm trying to remedy the situation because it does not seem to roll freely now that I have taken it down off jack stands and test drove it once I applied the brakes the Piston seems to still be pushing the pad out and not disengaging please help

bambam 06

Reaction score
Have recently pulled the rear wheel off and brake caliper realizing that the rotor had been run very hot and started wearing unevenly along with the pad on the Piston side of the caliper was completely worn down and uneven so I swapped pads around because the other one was a lot more pad left on it and also sanded down the rotor to make it even and get rid of the scoring and grooves so that the pad would have something to grab onto a little more so you can tell that they ran real hot because the Piston was not disengaging and therefore the pad was always running rubbing on the caliper I mean the rotor so I'm trying to remedy the situation because it does not seem to roll freely now that I have taken it down off jack stands and test drove it once I applied the brakes the Piston seems to still be pushing the pad out and not disengaging please help
Replace it.

GriffX

Reaction score
Replace the caliper, rebuilding is not like in the Youtube videos where the calipers are magically cleaned form dirt and corrosion.

Last edited:

richie9mt

Reaction score
I just had both my rear calipers replaced w/remans. I bought a complete F&R set of Hawk Street pads. Both rear pucks were frozen beyond movement. Ran $390 at my local mech, including flush/bleed. I did the fronts myself, all four pucks moved without any effort.

My reason for replacing pads was that my 2008 I4 Escape had better braking than my 2006 4.0 V6 Mustang. It's better now, but the Escape is still better than the Mustang.

Go figure.

brasil

Reaction score
It is also a good idea to change the brake fluid every year - because the fluid accumulates water...and the pistons corrode . Result : sticking calipers.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back