2012 a6 are my 4.10's alittle too much?

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
heres the 4.10 best so far at 12.10/116
bart414003.jpg

the 3.31 slip is mia (I think I threw it out the window when I saw it, lol)

bottom line though 12.56 @ 113 with a 2.09 60'

to be fair, in the heat here lately the car has been in the 12.35ish range at 115 with a 1.90-1.92 60'.

all these times are uncorrected at a 1200 ft track.

not a big loss, the real problem I had was the way the car felt going down the track, flat is about the only way I can describe it.

I'll see about getting a copy of the 3.31 slip at the track on sat.

That is one of the things I was aiming at....the DA difference between the different gears. The 3.31 will feel "lazy" compared to the 4.10 however that doesn't always equate to slower. ;)

What are your shift points at before the Boss intake? Where do you have them set with the Boss intake?

Last edited:

Bullett

Pwnisher
Reaction score
I've considered a gear swap as well but I'm going to keep my stock 3.15's. I've gone 12.0's with 1.6 60's in an auto with a 3600 stall, tune, and ORX. In a fully loaded full weight gtcs vert. I think it's all in the stall.

casper gt

forum member
Reaction score
That is one of the things I was aiming at....the DA difference between the different gears. The 3.31 will feel "lazy" compared to the 4.10 however that doesn't always equate to slower. ;)

What are your shift points at before the Boss intake? Where do you have them set with the Boss intake?

da defenately made some of the diffrence, I would expect the car was in reality 1.5 or so tenths slow with the 3.31's & just a basic tune file with no work.

the feel of the car was what made me stop messing around, it felt way softer so I was worried that when I was to step off of it to try to pedal someone at the stripe, when I got back in it, it wouldn't recover fast enough (remember, bracket car first, et second but I would like to go a little faster, who doesn't?)

as to the shift points, before I was shifting at 7100, there at 7400 now, it feels strong upstairs on the street, I hope it translates into a couple at the track.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Got it. I would recommend moving that shift point with the Boss intake up some. I would play with it to see how close you can get each shift to complete before hitting the hard limiter at 7,800. The 1/2 shift comes very soon with the 4.10 so it will be strictly experimentation to get it spot on.

casper gt

forum member
Reaction score
Got it. I would recommend moving that shift point with the Boss intake up some. I would play with it to see how close you can get each shift to complete before hitting the hard limiter at 7,800. The 1/2 shift comes very soon with the 4.10 so it will be strictly experimentation to get it spot on.

hard limiter or shopping for a boss crate motor, LOL.

seriously though, as much as they get beat up, I have a lot of faith in BAMA (especially Dann) his tunes have won me alot of races (including 2 street class wins so far this year with the new car, he writes me the most stable tunes I've ever had, last summer when we were dialing in my 2000 after a trans/converter swap, I made 7 runs over the corse of a long day & the spread was .09).

I'm shure he'll keep it as safe as he can but I'll be going up as ness.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
If you are looking for the best times with the Boss intake, I would spin it a bit higher. Just some advice based on experience I have had with both manual and auto trans cars running the Boss intake. ;) But you are right, it is a decision between you and your tuner.

casper gt

forum member
Reaction score
If you are looking for the best times with the Boss intake, I would spin it a bit higher. Just some advice based on experience I have had with both manual and auto trans cars running the Boss intake. ;) But you are right, it is a decision between you and your tuner.

I didn't mean to give you the impression we're scared to spin it, we're not trust me.

one of these days mabie Kris will hook me up though................I'll even trailer it down there after the point season ends at my track.........got any pull in that department?

J/K, you've been a huge help already, sucks you take heat on the s site, your right though, too many nutswingers.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't mean to give you the impression we're scared to spin it, we're not trust me.

one of these days mabie Kris will hook me up though................I'll even trailer it down there after the point season ends at my track.........got any pull in that department?

J/K, you've been a huge help already, sucks you take heat on the s site, your right though, too many nutswingers.

For kdanner, I would shoot him a PM. I cannot speak for what he will or won't do. ;)

My signature says it all. That site is the camaro5.com of the Mustang community. They don't like the truth over there and I am not one to be politically correct when calling it like it is. Never have been and never will be. :beer:

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They don't like the truth over there and I am not one to be politically correct when calling it like it is. Never have been and never will be. :beer:

Not you..............lol.

Ive learned alot more from reading Kdanner and wbt's research than any other thread out there. Doesnt hurt the guys will help you out in person too. :thumb:

onebadgsx

Reaction score
traping right now 143 mph in 3rd with 2.73 gear, looking to move to a steeper gear.

its looks like with the spreadsheet posted with a 28" tire 4th is good for 154 mph with a 3.55 and with a 30" tire is good for 165 mph.

danner or wbt would you go 3.55 or still stick with the proven 3.31

900 hp vortech car

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
traping right now 143 mph in 3rd with 2.73 gear, looking to move to a steeper gear.

its looks like with the spreadsheet posted with a 28" tire 4th is good for 154 mph with a 3.55 and with a 30" tire is good for 165 mph.

danner or wbt would you go 3.55 or still stick with the proven 3.31

900 hp vortech car

What are your goals? More street less track or less track more street?

wbt

forum member
Reaction score

I have been working with a local TVS car that went from a 3.15 to a 3.55 and he has been very satisfied with the change however he doesn't really take his car to the track.

My car has no where near the power your car has however when I tried a 30" tire on my car, it slowed down every time I ran them over a 275/60.

3.55 will give you some room to grow in 4th and may help the car get out of the hole a bit better. It will also keep the car out of the converter a bit more on the street and help some with driveability. Stay with a 28" tire with that gear.

Last edited:

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The best times I have seen with the N/A 5.0's is with 3.31 gears, 26 inch DR's, and a good Circle D converter. Mike was running consistent 10.30's with this setup, a CJ manifold and his own home made intake. If I had a new 5.0 I would give Mike, at MAP, a call and have him make me a tune.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
The best times I have seen with the N/A 5.0's is with 3.31 gears, 26 inch DR's, and a good Circle D converter. Mike was running consistent 10.30's with this setup, a CJ manifold and his own home made intake. If I had a new 5.0 I would give Mike, at MAP, a call and have him make me a tune.

Not relevant to the current discussion.

FWIW several of us (stock long block Coyote N/A) have been running 10's for some time using a 3.31 and 28" tire. ;)

onebadgsx has a power adder which changes the game a bit.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well if I had been posting to onebadsx that would be true. I was making my recommendation to the OP about his 4.10 gears, which is what this thread is supposed to be about. Mike tried a 28 inch tire and found the 26 inch worked better, with his setup.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back