Afco GT 500 "Pro Series" Heat Exchanger

bcb06gt

Reaction score
Thanks for the post. I have the standard dual pass Afco with some small Spal fans mounted behind. I have always thought about switching mine out like you did. Curious to see the IAT difference and noise difference.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Very nice! You never cease to amaze... I love the idea about the temp switch for the fans. Mine run any time the key is in the on position. Also run until you open the damn door lol.. I have been wanting to re-wire them just lost motivation on wiring at the moment. I can open the damn door for now lol.

BTW.. that is a tight fit! Did not know you had that radiator setup. Mine is tight, but damn! Looks excellent. Cheers!

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I would guess the fans don't need to run 60% of the time.

Each fan draws 9 amps - 18 amps for both fans. No need to use that additional current and add that strain on the electrical system unnecessarily.

I also don't want to listen to all that fan noise. Another reason I want to check the db level of the fans

Last edited:

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Yeah, hard on the alt and battery the way I am running it now. I just bought a new red-top as the fans/pumps killed the stock battery finally. I will get off my lazy arse and get it done. I also wanted to wire in a button so I can control on demand as well as a temp switch with some sort of annunciator.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Here are the results...

Engine off, hood open, both of the Afco GT500 Pro-Series fans running
100_2613.jpg

just for a comparison the Meziere WP136S 20 GPM I/C pump
100_1812.jpg

Last edited:

bcb06gt

Reaction score
How does the noise of the new fans compare to your old setup with the two smaller fans?

Last edited:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
How does the noise of the new fabs compare to your old setup with the two smaller fans?

If I hadn't already stored away the old Afco H/E with 5.2" fans, I would have compared them with the db meter.

although they seem about the same

bcb06gt

Reaction score
Thanks. I was really looking for a rough answer of: quieter, about the same, louder.

That gives me an idea of what it would sound like if I make this swap.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Good Information - Please Read!!

After removing the 80280NDP Afco Dual Pass Heat Exchanger and installing the 80280PRO Afco Pro-Series Dual Pass Heat Exchanger, I noticed a reduction in coolant flow back into the reservoir. I carefully inspected the installation for any restrictions to coolant flow but was unable to find anything. This had me concerned as the new H/E should be an improvement.

For the last couple of weeks I've looked at every Saleen S/C'd vehicle in my area that I could get my hands on. After looking at about 6 vehicles with several different combinations of reservoirs, pumps and heat exchangers, I found the cause of the reduced flow to be the new Afco 80280PRO H/E.

• The stock Saleen single pass H/E has 245 cu. in. of core area
  • The Afco 80280PRO Pro-Series dual pass H/E has 353.6 cu. in. of core area
  • The Afco 80280NDP dual pass H/E has 452.8 cu. in. of core area
At first glance it would seem that the 80280NDP would have the least restriction to flow, followed by the 80280PRO and finally the Stock Saleen H/E would have the greatest restriction to flow.

This assumption proved to be wrong!! What I hadn't taken into account was both of the Afco H/Es are dual pass. As we all know, a dual pass H/E circulates coolant through the lower 50% of the core and then circulates the coolant though the upper 50% of the core - the reason the inlet & outlet fittings are on the same side of the H/E. Therefore the max. core area that coolant can flow through at any given time is 50% of the total core area.

Based on this new information, the Afco 80280PRO Pro-Series H/E is only able to flow coolant through 176.8 cu. in. of core area, the Afco 80280NDP Dual Pass H/E circulates coolant through 226.4 cu. in. of core area and the stock Saleen single pass H/E circulates coolant through the entire 245 cu. in. of core area. Therefore the stock Saleen H/E has the least restriction to coolant flow.

Just how much does this affect coolant flow? Given a fixed flow of coolant through all 3 H/Es:
  • the 80280PRO flows 27.8% less coolant than the stock Saleen H/E
  • the 80280NDP flows 7.6% less coolant than the stock Saleen H/E
  • the 80280PRO flows 21.9% less coolant than the 80280NDP
Please keep in mind the previous information only applies to coolant flow - not overall ability to cool the coolant as the Afco units are both dual pass.

So the moral to this exercise is the Afco units restrict coolant more than the stock Saleen H/E. If you're going to install either of the Afco H/Es, you should also upgrade the I/C pump to a higher GPM pump which has the ability for force a larger volume of coolant through the reduced core area.

Last edited:

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Any chance we could get some pics of how you mounted the temp switch in your reservoir and also where did you buy this switch from. How did you wire it? I just installed the afco dual fan on my 500 and while i cant hear the fans while driving it would be nice to be able to switch them off when they arent needed. Thanks

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Any chance we could get some pics of how you mounted the temp switch in your reservoir and also where did you buy this switch from. How did you wire it? I just installed the Afco dual fan on my 500 and while i cant hear the fans while driving it would be nice to be able to switch them off when they aren't needed. Thanks

I have the temp switch installed directly in the lower RH corner of the Canton reservoir. The normally open switch is wired into the ground circuit for the fan relays and closes, turning on the fans, when temp exceeds 113*. I work for a Caterpillar dealer and this switch was supplied by Caterpillar but I'm sure there are other options out there that would serve the same purpose for a lot less $$$.
100_1647.jpg

Last edited:

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
I have the same heat exchanger n also have noticed that the flow is way less than the stock cobra jet one I had and old afco. I just assumed it was because the fluid was flowing thru more exchanger causing a reduction in flow thru friction loss.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Does anyone have a stock GT 500, KB, Roush or Whipple H/E handy that they could give me precise measurements (+/- 1/8") of the core area (not including tanks)? I would like to compare the Afco H/Es to those H/Es as well.

PS: when measuring the core thickness, please use something thin like a shipping tag wire to run through the core and get an accurate dimension

thanks

Last edited:

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a stock GT 500, KB, Roush or Whipple H/E handy that they could give me precise measurements (+/- 1/8") of the core area (not including tanks)? I would like to compare the Afco H/Es to those H/Es as well.

PS: when measuring the core thickness, please use something thin like a shipping tag wire to run through the core and get an accurate dimension

thanks
If the dimensions of my Gordsford HE single pass helps I can give them to you.
What do I need to datalog to see if the car is pulling timing?

Last edited:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
If the dimensions of my Gordsford HE single pass helps I can give them to you.
What do I need to datalog to see if the car is pulling timing?

If you want to give me the dimensions of the Gord's HE core (length, width & height - not including the tanks), I can tell you how the Gords compares to either of the Afco units.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back