Afco GT 500 "Pro Series" Heat Exchanger

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
That's because she has different plans.

Lol! Got the pump in and it flows (by visual indications) MUCH better than that crappy Rule 2000 that was rated at 33.3 gpm. Will get a pic up later of the install. The "other" pump was rated at 33.3 gpm.. but, that is only at 13.6V and open flow (probably optimum conditions). The other pump was rated to 200F which the coolant would never reach. Still, that has an affect on the output of the pump as well. The Meziere is a nice piece for sure. Not sure under what conditions Meziere tested the flow but obviously it is manufactured for this purpose. I will need to go back and look but think I read the Meziere was also rated to a much higher temp also.

My IAT's are actually about the same as before my pump failed under similar driving conditions, maybe slightly lower but not significant (compared to the "33" gpm pump when it was working). The real benefit I noticed with the better flow was when I stuffed ice in the tank last night at the track. With the ice I had temps down the track at WOT down to 128*. Without the ice I had temps up to 184* with the same cooling period between passes. My tune pulls timing around 136* IIRC. Although there could be a many differences in track conditions between the passes, and how well the car hooked etc, but the timeslips on the two were 11.74 on ice (no timing pulled) and 12.01 without the ice and the tune pulling timing. Same lane etc. Yes, temp matters... even if the difference in .20 on a 1/4 mile pass due to timing etc.. that is still quite a bit.

Track conditions last night on the passes were: 87*F, Dew Point 65*F (humid), 3600' density altitude with a little headwind. The second pass without the ice DA was just over 3400'.

Last edited:

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You need to block off those openings on either side of the heat exchanger. Remember air always takes the path of least resistance. The air isn't going through that heat exchanger it is going around it. Here is an example of the way it should look. The top panel isn't mounted in this picture.

IMG_2296-Copy.jpg
I did some testing of my own today.
Ambient temp was 75F.
IAT was 102 at 60 mph with the car running at operating temperature.
I then made a 0-125 mph run with the IAT temperature maxing out at 134F.
The car was brought back down to 60 mph and the IAT temperature returned back to 102F within 4 minutes.
The car was then parked for 1hr.
The IAT temp upon startup was 124F and dropped to 104F within 4 minutes when driving 60 mph.

The car has the factory Saleen reservoir, Bosch pump, Gordsford single pass HE with SPAL twin fans. (Twin Fans were not on at the time).

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Yeah, I am spinning my poor s/c pretty hard right now and at the top end on any PD temps follow suit. Can definately feel the difference and see it in MPH too (where it is falling off the most).

Last edited:

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
I did some testing of my own today.
Ambient temp was 75F.
IAT was 102 at 60 mph with the car running at operating temperature.
I then made a 0-125 mph run with the IAT temperature maxing out at 134F.
The car was brought back down to 60 mph and the IAT temperature returned back to 102F within 4 minutes.
The car was then parked for 1hr.
The IAT temp upon startup was 124F and dropped to 104F within 4 minutes when driving 60 mph.

The car has the factory Saleen reservoir, Bosch pump, Gordsford single pass HE with SPAL twin fans. (Twin Fans were not on at the time).

Sounds like you're telling me a lot but you're not. How much hp do you make? How fast is the blower spinning? Where is the incoming air for the blower coming from? What design blower are you using? etc. The numbers you quote are similar to the numbers I am getting with my 450rwhp car not the 650rwhp car pictured above.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're telling me a lot but you're not. How much hp do you make? How fast is the blower spinning? Where is the incoming air for the blower coming from? What design blower are you using? etc. The numbers you quote are similar to the numbers I am getting with my 450rwhp car not the 650rwhp car pictured above.

Ported Saleen series VI blower 2.3L with a 2.95 upper and a 6.5" std crank pulley.
That would put me at 14,300 rpm at 6500 rpm.
I'm using the Saleen extreme intake with C&L Race tube taking the air from the corner of the fender.
The car made 543rwhp 500rwtq on JDM's dyno on an 87F day.
Engine is stock from valve covers to oil pan.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Ported Saleen series VI blower 2.3L with a 2.95 upper and a 6.5" std crank pulley.
That would put me at 14,300 rpm at 6500 rpm.
I'm using the Saleen extreme intake with C&L Race tube taking the air from the corner of the fender.
The car made 543rwhp 500rwtq on JDM's dyno on an 87F day.
Engine is stock from valve covers to oil pan.

14,322 to be exact - J/K

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
14,322 to be exact - J/K
I'm a little disappointed in you Todd.
I have read your entire engine build thread and with your attention to detail
the reply I expected from you would have been 14,322.03389830508...-J/K

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I'm a little disappointed in you Todd.
I have read your entire engine build thread and with your attention to detail
the reply I expected from you would have been 14,322.03389830508...-J/K

What can I say

MS Excel let me down

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Damn I spin mine to 16800 at 6500 rpms. No wonder I can't keep my temps under control! LoL

Probably has a lot to do with it.

You may actually be able to spin your blower slower, generating less heat, and make the same or more HP due to less pararsitic HP loss

There's a good reason why thump_rrr's AITs are so low - the large heat exchanger and the slower RPM of the blower doesn't generate as much heat and require as much HP to turn, yet he's still making 543 RWHP

Last edited:

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What's your setup and how much power are you making?

I'm using the 6.5 lid, 62mm tbody, 2.8" pulley and a 10% OD balancer. Built shortblock(94Tbirds old one) 9.0:1 compression, stock heads with comp 127350 cams. ATFspeed built 5R55S with a PI converter. It made 550rwhp on a fat pump gas tune.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I'm using the 6.5 lid, 62mm tbody, 2.8" pulley and a 10% OD balancer. Built shortblock(94Tbirds old one) 9.0:1 compression, stock heads with comp 127350 cams. ATFspeed built 5R55S with a PI converter. It made 550rwhp on a fat pump gas tune.

You wouldn't have to spin the blower as fast if you had higher compression

GoFaster06

forum member
Reaction score

Could u tell me about your built 5r55s? Wanting to buy a built one, since my stock one is slipping.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
They are Ross pistons. I believe back then they had them as a 16cc dish. This was Ron's old Larry H shortblock. I had the bearings/rings and wrist pins replaced.

16cc = 9.0:1 compression, that sounds about right.

The Saleen S/C doesn't respond well to lower compression.

As you have already found out you have to spin the shit out of the blower to make the same HP as someone with higher compression and less boost. Spinning the blower that fast generates lots of heat

Last edited:

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah a little too much heat! I have a 3" pulley around somewhere that I could put back on and have the tune tweaked.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Yeah a little too much heat! I have a 3" pulley around somewhere that I could put back on and have the tune tweaked.

The larger 3.0" pulley will help to reduce AITs but with only a 9.0:1 CR you're not going to acheive the end results you're looking for with the Saleen S/C.

Back