Afco GT 500 "Pro Series" Heat Exchanger

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
27.5x 6.5x 2.5

Peter does the 27.5" width include the tanks or is that just the core? That sure seems awfully wide considering both Afco units aren't that wide including the tanks.

Nonetheless, based off of those dimensions when compared to the Afco heat exchangers, the Gords core has:

Frontal Surface Area
Gords has 178.750 sq. in.
80280NDP has 201.250 sq. in.
80280PRO has 257.125 sq. in.

Core Cubic Inches
80280PRO has 353.600 cu. in.
Gords has 446.875 cu. in.
80280NDP has 452.800 cu. in.

Core's Restriction to Coolant Flow
80280PRO dual pass has 176.800 cu. in.
80280NDP dual pass has 226.400 cu. in.
Gords single pass has 446.875 cu. in.

Looks like the Gords H/E has the least restriction to coolant flow due to it's large core size and due to the fact that it is a single pass design. However the smaller frontal surface area may hinder it's ability to dissipate heat as well as the larger Afco H/Es.

Last edited:

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Peter does the 27.5" width include the tanks or is that just the core? That sure seems awfully wide considering both Afco units aren't that wide including the tanks.

Nonetheless, based off of those dimensions when compared to the Afco heat exchangers, the Gords core has:

Frontal Surface Area
Gords has 178.750 sq. in.
80280NDP has 201.250 sq. in.
80280PRO has 257.125 sq. in.

Core Cubic Inches
80280PRO has 353.600 cu. in.
Gords has 446.875 cu. in.
80280NDP has 452.800 cu. in.

Core's Restriction to Coolant Flow
80280PRO dual pass has 176.800 cu. in.
80280NDP dual pass has 226.400 cu. in.
Gords single pass has 446.875 cu. in.

Looks like the Gords H/E has the least restriction to coolant flow due to it's large core size and due to the fact that it is a single pass design. However the smaller frontal surface area may hinder it's ability to dissipate heat as well as the larger Afco H/Es.

The dimensions are of the core itself.
I wish it was 10" wider with the inlet and outlet at the rear.
DSCN0392.jpg

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Based off of your dimensions, your single pass H/E core is far less restrictive to coolant flow than either of the Afco dual pass units.

What your Gords H/E lacks in frontal area may be compensated for by the greater coolant flow through the core

After having several conversations with many H/E manufacturers, the larger but thinner H/E cores dissipate heat better than a smaller thicker cores. That's where the Afco 80280PRO Pro-Series Dual Pass H/E with fans has the advantage

Same reason why A/C condensers are huge but very thin

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Based off of your dimensions, your single pass H/E core is far less restrictive to coolant flow than either of the Afco dual pass units.

What your Gords H/E lacks in frontal area may be compensated for by the greater coolant flow through the core

After having several conversations with many H/E manufacturers, the larger but thinner H/E cores dissipate heat better than a smaller thicker cores. That's where the Afco 80280PRO Pro-Series Dual Pass H/E with fans has the advantage

Same reason why A/C condensers are huge but very thin

The simple thing to remember is that it takes 1btu to change the temperature of 1lb. of water 1 degree. Trying to determine the rate of transfer is another story.

The difference with a condenser is that there is a superheated gas being condensed to a liquid which is around 85 btu/lb.

Last edited:

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
The dimensions are of the core itself.
I wish it was 10" wider with the inlet and outlet at the rear.
DSCN0392.jpg

You need to block off those openings on either side of the heat exchanger. Remember air always takes the path of least resistance. The air isn't going through that heat exchanger it is going around it. Here is an example of the way it should look. The top panel isn't mounted in this picture.

IMG_2296-Copy.jpg

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I currently have the non-pro Afco and I'm considering a larger single pass radiator that siliconintakes sells for the hell of it. It's 12x24 in size so I could put 2 12" fans on it, has 2 1/2" npt fittings, a drain and a bung to put a temp sensor in if I wanted to.

Something along the lines of the picture above, making air blockers to force the air through it. I would have to cut the bumper bar out just as above but for drag racing that is a good thing.

Here's a link to the radiator I'm thinking of trying out...

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/prod...=1002&osCsid=8e945fa7fc58aef1e4ecdc93be1895d1

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
I'd make sure to find out what kind of flow (in gph) you would need to support something like that. I would assume they have to be matched to some degree, right?

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I emailed them asking how well it flowed asking if they knew if it is any more or less of a restriction compared to my current afco heat exchanger.

I have a Dad's 7gal tank in the trunk with a Rule 2200 pump so it flows pretty damn well. No 90 degree bends anywhere in my system as far as the hose routing so it flows as good as it can given the pump and 3/4" hose I'm using.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
Wow...great thread...very informative to what I'm looking at doing, but I still don't know which is giving the best IATs?? I see the ones that flow better (gords and the stocker) but the Afco gives better temps, does it not?

Kind of misleading to me, I guess, but at the same time, I'm "newer" at all this so I'm learning from this :)

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
HA!!! I was wondering why my IAT's were up there the other day. Well, the flow was way down, and the fuggin pump died today.... OF COURSE IT DID!!! Was planning on going to the track this weekend. The last 4 weekends it has been rain or the track closed... :wtf1:

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
I'm looking into the Meziere 20 gallon pump as a replacement on my car. Have you given that any thought?

crownaviation

Reaction score
I emailed them asking how well it flowed asking if they knew if it is any more or less of a restriction compared to my current afco heat exchanger.

I have a Dad's 7gal tank in the trunk with a Rule 2200 pump so it flows pretty damn well. No 90 degree bends anywhere in my system as far as the hose routing so it flows as good as it can given the pump and 3/4" hose I'm using.

I have the same tank, same pump and guess what... mine just died. Have about 2000 miles on the car. Word from a couple places that stock them is they are changing designs and will discontinue the pump. Any other will not just fit in the Dad's tank without mods. Grainger sells them for like $140. With a 12v systems they flow less than 33.3 gpm. The only way you get that flow is at 13.4V with free flow.

I just ordered a Meziere WP136S from Jegs next day air Saturday freggin delivery. The 55gpm radiator mount style is not available for shipping today damnit.

Question.. Do the anodized blue fittings come with the pump? I can get or have lots of fittings if I need but wanted to know for sure

Last edited:

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
^^^Let us know how/where you mount it and your thoughts on flow. I'd like to hear from someone else who has used it.

crownaviation

Reaction score

Great. Standard -12AN fittings? I plan on mounting it in the trunk next to the tank. The wiring is already there, close to the pressure of the tank to help feed the pump and the weight in the back is part of the reason I went with a trunk tank to begin with lol.. Will update pics as soon as I get it mounted. Kinda nervous at this point as I have no tracking info yet and it is supposed to be shipped next day air saturday delivery (tomorrow AM). Would be 4 out of 4 times next day air has screwed me if it does not show up. UPS once, vendors twice. I am feelin lucky tho..

Last edited:

crownaviation

Reaction score
Pump is on the truck for delivery! With a little luck I will make it to the track tonight... No rain, wife is in good mood, kids are bein good, three day weekend.. ahhhh!

Back