My #8 goes bye bye and who know's why - OP runs and hides

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
not to mention he deleted all his posts from his original thread. Hes trying to hide soemthing.

35anngt

Yes I deleted all of my posts,I found the problem. Under normal driving I noticed the car was smoking . it didn't do it at idle only when I would give it about 50-75% throttle. A few days later I had to go out of town and it was smoking while just driving. I turned the car back to stock and took it to the local dealer. my mechanic tried to help me with the situation as much as he could but since the new TSB release it was basically a done deal. Car has 7k on it, tune maybe 1k miles 93 aggressive cam tune, and yes I only used 93 octane in it, I'm not an idiot don't throw that one at me.3,000$ after parts and labor. and all of this nonsense about resetting the drive cycles putting it to stock driving 50 miles etc. is CRAP. the mechanic told me everything, EVERYTHING is fingerprinted on your pcm, there is no hiding it. best of luck to those who may tune and have this problem. I'm headed into work ill check back on this after, yall havefun

jestang

forum member
Reaction score
I wish the moderators on the boards would require the users to post technical information (like below) regarding the cars that are popping number 8 or else all the threads be deleted.

build date?
tune ... if so by who?
mods?
activity when #8 let go?
warning signs?
etc.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I'm generally an "in" at a Ford dealer, as I work there, and even I couldn't get my buddys car covered. They're absolutely not joking around with warranty coverages and aftermarket parts.

OP, you have a PM.

Bodam

forum member
Reaction score
I'd like more info, other than "Lund blew my #8"....

Is there anything thet we should look out for with tunes? I plan on doing some datalogging tonight, what should I look for that might prevent this?

35anngt

Also, lethal rep told me nothing could be done on their end. I would love a little if any help.25% the cost would be amazing. But, I know its not going to happen.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I wish the moderators on the boards would require the users to post technical information (like below) regarding the cars that are popping number 8 be posted or else all the threads be deleted.

So much for peoples freedoms. Aside from our curiosity, who cares if they post up details or not. I'd like to know too, but for it to be required is just rediculous. IMO.

assasinator

1000hp turbo 4v
Reaction score
well, you know im pulling 5 degrees of timing when i get in my car. it will make the max 22 degrees, and should get it out of trouble at all rpm ranges.

im also going to but a head gasket, piston, and anything else i need to swap a piston out. then if it blows, im going to replace the piston, put it back to stock, and live with its weak ass.

ubeenbit

forum member
Reaction score
Datalog a wot pull. Look at total timing, knock, and lambda

My experience has been more than 23 you will knock twice on a pull. Lambda of .819 keeps most of it away and makes almost as much as .85

If you have knock reduce timing

Sent from my iPhone on an overpriced data plan

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I'd like more info, other than "Lund blew my #8"....

Is there anything thet we should look out for with tunes? I plan on doing some datalogging tonight, what should I look for that might prevent this?

Watch for knock. If the sensors are picking up knock, the tune needs to be dialed back. Picking up knock and retarding timing should be extreme cases (bad gas, 105 degree days, etc). If it's doing it constantly in normal conditions, then what happens in extreme conditions when it's doing all it can and still can't stop the knock? Well, the OP knows what happens.

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
Didn't lund revise his tunes to not change the knock sensor sensitivity from stock settings like everyone else? Did you have this revised version?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
FWIW, I have stock pistons, stock rods, and stock rings all in stock if anyone's interested.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wish the moderators on the boards would require the users to post technical information (like below) regarding the cars that are popping number 8 or else all the threads be deleted.

build date?
tune ... if so by who?
mods?
activity when #8 let go?
warning signs?
etc.

Yeah, not gonna happen.

We can't even keep people from posting in the wrong sections!

I'd be nice to read the details, but it's not going to be required. That pretty crazy thinking there my dude!

jestang

forum member
Reaction score
So much for peoples freedoms. Aside from our curiosity, who cares if they post up details or not. I'd like to know too, but for it to be required is just rediculous. IMO.

My post was not directed at the OP or anything and I am not trying to take anyones freedoms. However, it is possible that a flawed batch of pistons (or rings, etc.) got installed in a certain number of cars, although unlikely. Without reliable data from the people who are having #8 go, there is no way to analyze whats going on. Plenty of people have Lund tunes so does this mean that all his tunes are going to pop #8 (I definitely would not think so) or was this an isolated incident? If it was an isolated incident, why? Another knock sensor desensitized due to the base sct file? If so, please verify.

Last edited:

CMK720

forum member
Reaction score
This is getting crazy. I think I'll hold off on a 5.0 for now...

Back