My #8 goes bye bye and who know's why - OP runs and hides

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I am not trying to take anyones freedoms but it is possible that a flawed batch of pistons (or rings, etc.) got installed in a certain number of cars, although unlikely. However, without reliable data from the people who are having #8 go, there is no way to analyze whats going on. Plenty of people have Lund tunes so does this mean that all his tunes are going to pop #8 (I definitely would not think so) or was this an isolated incident? If it was an isolated incident, why?

Do you really want to start this debate? There are several threads that have gone over it countless times.

Here are the facts:

Only modified cars are failing. Defective piston = Fat chance. The pistons are all the same, so it wouldn't be a #8 issue if it were a defective part, it would be random cylinders, and it would be happening to countless stock/modified 5.0's. Instead, there are thousands of 5.0's running around problem free. Only a handfull of modified cars are failing, and probably from 1 or 2 or 3 specific tuners. Somebody got a little carried away with the aggressiveness, and their customers are swallowing a bitter pill.

Don't modify your car = Happy motoring for years.

35anngt

I have a buddy from midland area who is having the same issue with a Bama tune. Whether it be a build issue or not, if you go in with the problem and there is ANY history of a tune on your pcm its over. Ford Is using the tune scapegoat to chinch out of paying for repairs. I read about someone with a Ford procal having the same problem, of course it was fixed but still there Is an obvious issue. Does anyome at all know of this happening on stock cars? To my knowledge it Isnt.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZXMustang

5.0 4V Owner
Reaction score
Was this an original Lune cam tune from when he first started tuning them? As in, WHEN did you get the tune from him? Also I wonder if his tunes needed to be revised when people started finding out that the knock sensor sensitivity needed to be changed back to stock. This is obviously a tuning issue, and I would really love to hear from lund on this one.

And for anyone else with the option to run 93 octane gas, here is a great solution for piece of mind. Buy the 91 octane tunes from your tuner.

Last edited:

ViciousJay

forum member
Reaction score
Yes I deleted all of my posts,I found the problem. Under normal driving I noticed the car was smoking . it didn't do it at idle only when I would give it about 50-75% throttle. A few days later I had to go out of town and it was smoking while just driving. I turned the car back to stock and took it to the local dealer. my mechanic tried to help me with the situation as much as he could but since the new TSB release it was basically a done deal. Car has 7k on it, tune maybe 1k miles 93 aggressive cam tune, and yes I only used 93 octane in it, I'm not an idiot don't throw that one at me.3,000$ after parts and labor. and all of this nonsense about resetting the drive cycles putting it to stock driving 50 miles etc. is CRAP. the mechanic told me everything, EVERYTHING is fingerprinted on your pcm, there is no hiding it. best of luck to those who may tune and have this problem. I'm headed into work ill check back on this after, yall havefun

SUCKER! you got suckered into not pleading the 5th... Your mechanic just plugged a nice hard in your butt.

Last edited:

jestang

forum member
Reaction score
Do you really want to start this debate? There are several threads that have gone over it countless times.

Here are the facts:

Only modified cars are failing. Defective piston = Fat chance. The pistons are all the same, so it wouldn't be a #8 issue if it were a defective part, it would be random cylinders, and it would be happening to countless stock/modified 5.0's. Instead, there are thousands of 5.0's running around problem free. Only a handfull of modified cars are failing, and probably from 1 or 2 or 3 specific tuners. Somebody got a little carried away with the aggressiveness, and their customers are swallowing a bitter pill.

I am not wanting to debate you, nor do I disagree with you. I am just stating that there is not enough hard data to support your stance or any other.

We need specific data from the people who this is happening to, irregardless of whether someone thinks it was a tuning mistake or something else. This would benefit the mustang aftermarket community as a whole.

Last edited:

ViciousJay

forum member
Reaction score

Here are the facts:

so i guess all the other modular motors out there that had the same issues are all modded too like terminators when there was no aftermarket. These issue can arise when there is too much heat built up and cyl 7-8 take the punishment

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
I believe he originally left them alone... So no revised tunes

agreed.. I thought he didn't mess with the knock sensor thus didn't need to change things since that's what people thought blew #8..

If the knock sensors were not messed with then we're all back to ground zero with our fingers in our butt.

jestang's right.. there should be a list of info so we can do some detective work. Trying to get that info as nick stated would be impossible, because the fact many are in the process of trying to get it fixed or dont want to step on toes.

I think someone could easily PM all the members on this forum and others and collect the info and compile it here. Maybe start a new thread

Ivan 5.0

Still learning...
Reaction score
We need specific data from the people who this is happening to, irregardless of whether someone thinks it was a tuning mistake or something else. This would benefit the mustang aftermarket community as a whole.

Amen.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
The 3v cars look pretty damn good about now.

First the look of that rear end and now #8...

I think you may be right. :naughty1:

Is this only with the cam tunes it is having this problem?

MOAR info please. I have heard a little about this with one 5.0 that was getting serviced at my dealership, but that is about it.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Yup, everything will get worked out sooner or later...

But until then? My 3v is STAYING!!!!

I would agree on a thread of a spreadsheet nature to see if there is a pattern. It would be solely voluntary by the 5.0 owner to devulge the info, but we did this in '07 when the Harley changed to a 96ci motors and 6-speed transmission and engines were grenading. Early production models seemed to be the susceptible ones and we proved it.

Good luck.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back