My #8 goes bye bye and who know's why - OP runs and hides

ViciousJay

forum member
Reaction score
There is more to this story im betting. Ill be the OP used a canned tune with global timing thrown at it (which these cars dont like) and POP went his cherry, as for #8 popping this os nothing new with modular motors... this is part of the reason why and i say PART OF why LDC had a cooling flow mod for the 03/04 cobras. The tuners just need to tweak the power down a bit and everything will be ok

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
i suppose there were no failures in the first 2 years of the s197 motor?! haha give it a little time, they will figure out all the bugs

The main issue is for me is the PCM. You can't mod the 5.0 engine at all and expect warranty coverage, Ford is on high alert. For me, that would take a lot out of the fun of ownership. Best to wait 3-4 years and pick up a used 5.0. By then, the picture will be clearer on what the engine will tolerate.

The exception of course is if you get the Ford Racing parts, which I would certainly endorse, such as the Ford Racing whipple kit for the 5.0s :naughty1:.

Aandf1978

M90 SUPPORTER!!
Reaction score
You could go and trade your car in for a new 5.0 right now. Get a tune and your number 8 piston be on its way out. You wouldnt even notice.

Youd never drive it lol

This brings up a good point!! If the PCM tells the tale of tunes and mods, I BET YOU there are quite a few 5.0's sitting on the lot that have been tuned before, someone comes in and buys it, motor failure or anything really and they get denied warranty coverage due to a tuned PCM, but the second owner never knew or tuned the car. Scary thought!!

Guess I feel a little better and more safe keeping mine now.

ViciousJay

forum member
Reaction score
The main issue is for me is the PCM. You can't mod the 5.0 engine at all and expect warranty coverage, Ford is on high alert. For me, that would take a lot out of the fun of ownership. Best to wait 3-4 years and pick up a used 5.0. By then, the picture will be clearer on what the engine will tolerate.

The exception of course is if you get the Ford Racing parts, which I would certainly endorse, such as the Ford Racing whipple kit for the 5.0s :naughty1:.

when the hell did ford every warranty a modded motor?! NEVER! trust me when i say this that the OP should have kept his mouth shut and swore up and down that he didnt mod the car and should have drain the battery and then had the car towed into ford. kinda hard to place blame on a faulty battery if they are looking for drive cycles that were wiped. The guy basically let the dealer take him. DO YOU THINK FORD CARES ABOUT REPLACING A MOTOR!?! **** NO! The dealer marking up the new motor does cuz that 7K+ labor that they are losing out on instead of some shottie book time the tech will have to work overly hard to finish just to make his deadline

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
This brings up a good point!! If the PCM tells the tale of tunes and mods, I BET YOU there are quite a few 5.0's sitting on the lot that have been tuned before, someone comes in and buys it, motor failure or anything really and they get denied warranty coverage due to a tuned PCM, but the second owner never knew or tuned the car. Scary thought!!

I can see that happening for sure. Just about everyone takes their car back to stock before trading it in.

The buyer wouldn't really have a way to prove it wasn't him either. That could get ugly.

35anngt

The first post in this thread gives away any fact of it being stock or modified. Engine warranty = Fart in the wind.

There is more to this story im betting. Ill be the OP used a canned tune with global timing thrown at it (which these cars dont like) and POP went his cherry, as for #8 popping this os nothing new with modular motors... this is part of the reason why and i say PART OF why LDC had a cooling flow mod for the 03/04 cobras. The tuners just need to tweak the power down a bit and everything will be ok

no canned tune

Last edited by a moderator:

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
so i guess all the other modular motors out there that had the same issues are all modded too like terminators when there was no aftermarket. These issue can arise when there is too much heat built up and cyl 7-8 take the punishment

Same story back then, the unmodified cars are fine. It was when you put a pulley on them or a CAI or anything else. You can hammer on a bone stock '03 Cobra all day long and you'll never have a problem.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
94tbird mentioned this to me in a separate convo - interesting how it seems the N/A cars are the ones losing a piston and not the blower cars............. food for thought

06whipple

Sorry to hear about the failure. I can see Ford's point on this though. Why should they have to warranty an engine with an aftermarket tune? They dyno cell test their tunes to ensure reliability. Things are done to be conservative and ensure engine longevity. What aftermarket tuner has the resources to do the kind of reliability testing that Ford does. Bottom line is if you want to get every last bit of performance without hours of testing data to prove it is safe then don't be surprised when your engine fails.

Bodam

forum member
Reaction score
Actually, you lose your bet. What part of lund 93 aggressive tune sounds like canned tune to you?

Can you please give some info on the car? When was it tuned? What mods, etc? When/how did it blow?

Aandf1978

M90 SUPPORTER!!
Reaction score
should have drain the battery and then had the car towed into ford. kinda hard to place blame on a faulty battery if they are looking for drive cycles that were wiped.

I don't even think anyone truly knows if this will erase any evidence of tuning and drive cycles. Seems like Ford was really pretty smart about this whole Coyote/5.0 thing with a way more powerful mustang and a base for something WAY more!! If you are going to buy a base/bare 5.0 and turn it into this track, street driver car, you are bascially going to have to choices, have fun and truly enjoy the car with no warranty or keep it, the PCM, stock drive it enjoy it but wish and want to unleash what it could be with a warranty.

ViciousJay

forum member
Reaction score
I don't even think anyone truly knows if this will erase any evidence of tunning. Seems like Ford was really pretty smart about this whole Coyote/5.0 thing with a way more powerful mustang and a base for something WAY more!! If you are going to buy a base/bare 5.0 and turn it into this track, street driver car, you are bascially going to have to choices, have fun and truly enjoy the car with no warranty or keep it, the PCM, stock drive it enjoy it but wish and want to unleash what it could be with a warranty.

it was verified by a tooner that it was true and it works, all you need is 4 things

a car
a tune
a scanner
and someone to drain the battery

Aandf1978

M90 SUPPORTER!!
Reaction score
Really?? Oh, ok well I had no idea. Was that discussed here?? I would like to see all of that, especailly if it would be that easy to erase any evidence.

ViciousJay

forum member
Reaction score
Same story back then, the unmodified cars are fine. It was when you put a pulley on them or a CAI or anything else. You can hammer on a bone stock '03 Cobra all day long and you'll never have a problem.

oh no i guess you forgot the DO NOT BOOST INTO 5 or 6 gear threads do you? :deadhorse:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back