PCV breather and oil catch-can questions

Djstorm100

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know if it has been stated yet or not. BUT the pcv system needs to be from the valve cover to the intake of the s/c and with the catch can in between those. This is to put a vaccum on the pcv at all times and help with pressure in the crank case. This is truly a subject that get's beat to death. Put a sponge or some type of material in there

SS KILLR

Killer of the SS
Reaction score
esy9ytuz.jpg

I did this to be safe.

Terminator2

Reaction score
Just run 2 breathers and call it good...

Except open breathers will spray oil all over the place under hood at times (like when under boost or heavy throttle even NA) so not ideal for any street driven car or track driven car that could be black flagged for oil burning underhood. Also on NA applications (I know this thread is about FI cars but there are likely NA guys in here as well) the vacuum from the intake mani or intake tube helps "pull out" positive crankcase pressure. On a FI setup I would run dual catch cans and a GT500 PCV valve as it is more restrictive vs the stocker and will not allow as much oil blow through so no one will be filling up cans after 20 minutes of hard driving.

DTony

forum member
Reaction score
Here's what I use. Bought it off Amazon for $75. It has a drain in the bottom and works great. I have been using it since going with the Vortech last Dec.

Catchcan_zpsfbe860a8.jpg

Jake1

Slow Mo
Reaction score
So I ran the Moroso Separator(witch I dont think is a cure all) and ran it wrong, I ran it closed system just the two valve cover openings into the Moroso, Damn did I f up it shot my dip stick out two times then I said screw this and put it back to stock. So what I need to do is run it and run it back into the intake( I really dont want to do that but if it saves the motor) I wonder how the Boss 302R gets away with it not damaging the motor with no vacuum.

prior

Reaction score
So I ran the Moroso Separator(witch I dont think is a cure all) and ran it wrong, I ran it closed system just the two valve cover openings into the Moroso, Damn did I f up it shot my dip stick out two times then I said screw this and put it back to stock. So what I need to do is run it and run it back into the intake( I really dont want to do that but if it saves the motor) I wonder how the Boss 302R gets away with it not damaging the motor with no vacuum.

The moroso can is a sealed unit and it's meant to be installed inline. When you installed it with the lines going to each valve cover, you sealed the crankcase off. All that pressure had to go somewhere and it shot your dipstick out obviously. The set up on the 302s uses a vented catch tank. It's not a separator and doesn't function like one. It's the same effect as running little filters on the valve covers. It vents crank case gasses to the atmosphere. The race cars run them to catch the oil and keep it from going all over the track.

Bullett

Pwnisher
Reaction score
So this is how mines set up. From the passenger side I have running to the drivers, then it's teed to the can. The other end of the can if going to the air tube. My car is a daily driver and I only drag race 1-2 times a month if that getting 6-7 runs. Am I doing it right?

A04B9150-7CB2-4773-A7D1-7EE1D9F6DFD2-12269-0000045B35592324_zps878a5292.jpg

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the moroso unit, can someone please explain the correct way to hook up both valve covers to it? Please. I had switched from the moroso unit to breathers but after 500 or so miles i ended up with oil coming out of the drivers side breather. I reinstalled the moroso unit today back on the passenger side, id like to be able to use it for both sides instead of spending more money for a drivers side unit.

2013MustangGT

Budget Boss
Reaction score
I have the moroso unit, can someone please explain the correct way to hook up both valve covers to it? ]

You should not hook the Moroso catch can up to both sides. The driver's side allows for air to go into the crank case and the passenger's side allows oil and gasses to escape. To use the Moroso can set the driver's side back to factory and hook the passenger side up with the tube going from the crank case to the can and then from the can to the intake.

If you want to set both sides up to a breather search for a Peterson breather
Here I did it for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Peterson-Fluid-Systems-08-0400-Breather/dp/B002GOPHRY

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back