Rear Lowering Springs

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I see pics of S197's all the time with the rear quarter almost sitting on the rear tire. My question is what keeps the quarter from rubbing the tire? I have the 18"x9" SVE Drifts with the 24mm offset with new 285/40/18 tires on the rear and they do poke just a little. I want to install the BMR 1.25 rear springs on the rear to level out the car but certainly don't want to do it if they are going to rub. Can anyone tell me if this will work without the quarter rubbing the tire? Thanks in advance and you can flame if you want to. LOL :clap:

Edit: Forgot to add this car will be our vacation car with me the wife and kid with luggage driving 500 miles to Myrtle Beach. So there will be a considerable amount of weight in the back of the car at times.

Last edited:

orangensaft

People think its yellow
Reaction score
It shouldn't rub.
I have k springs and dropped it just under 1.5. My gt500s come out to the edge of the fender and there is still a ton of gap.
I'd have to land hard off some sweet jumps to make the tire hit the fender.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Here is a pic of a 2011 with our rear springs with what I believe are the same wheels.

No rubbing!

2011-12-23114903.jpg

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I keeps my Konis stiff...also no fat chicks allowed.

With the way your car is sitting in your sig it looks like it would have to rub anytime you hit a bump. My question is on a regular lowering spring what keeps it from rubbing when lowered that much? Like when a car is running a pro kit with an agressive offset wheel.

Phuck Phace

forum member
Reaction score
Mine is really close but Sportlines are a somewhat aggresive drop and I'm also running a 305 in the rear. My old s197 had the Prokit with an aggressive offset and it never even came close to rubbing. It looked like the photo BMR posted above but my tire stuck out more.

DIB5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Are you just doing the rear and levying the front? I know that more than an inch will leave the front higher. A few have used the Roush 1" spring with good results but I'm sure the back is only 3/4 " higher than the front.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Are you just doing the rear and levying the front? I know that more than an inch will leave the front higher. A few have used the Roush 1" spring with good results but I'm sure the back is only 3/4 " higher than the front.

Yes doing rears only to level the car. My car does sit 3/4" higher in the back. I didn't realize Roush sold rear only springs so I'll check them out. I thought BMR was the only company that sold springs just for the rear without having to buy the fronts also. Thanks....

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score

WytHorse

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't fool with it for just 1/2" drop. I wanted to go with the BMR springs because everyone says the really work well at the dragstrip. I'm just gonna buy them and see how it looks and if they were to rub which now I don't think they will I'll just take them off and sell them on here.

^ They won't rub. and I agree about the 1/2" drop too....the idea is great, but its not worth all the cost for only 1/2"

Godzirra

Asian Idiot
Reaction score
I'm on h&r race springs which are slightly under 1.5 inches. I'm running a 18x11 wheel out back on a 335 width tire. They stick out about10-15mm past the fenders. I recently went on a trip with the car and 3 friends with a trunk full of loot. I rubbed once doing a long sweeper @ 90mph.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is thyat the rear axle in turns moves pthe wheels in an arc so they will tuck in on the outside (side that compresses while turning). In two wheel bump the spring rates should be such to keep the axle off the frame rails, if not, there are the bumpstops. Part of the reason slamming these cars results in a crappy ride is you literally ride on the bump stops which are designed to keep the axle from contacting the frame. At some point in compression the stops go essentially solid so it would be like welding the suspension in place. Not good for ride, handling or launching and IMO doesn't look good either.

I really like my Steeda Sports. 1" up front 1.25" in the rear with a comfortable (ish) ish ride and they certainly help the car corner aand transition.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I'm on h&r race springs which are slightly under 1.5 inches. I'm running a 18x11 wheel out back on a 335 width tire. They stick out about10-15mm past the fenders. I recently went on a trip with the car and 3 friends with a trunk full of loot. I rubbed once doing a long sweeper @ 90mph.

Thanks for the response. I feel pretty comfortable I'll be OK with the BMR rears now with the 24mm wheels and 285's.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back