Autocross setup questions from a Mustang Noob

5LitersofLoud

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2011 GTCS. This is a huge change of direction for me, I have been driving imports since 1992 and with the exception of my truck and a well used BMW they were all fwd. I had every intention of purchasing an Infinity G37 when I found a pretty good deal on this Mustang. I thought great, I'll get back into autocrossing but only searched for manufacturing defects before signing the papers. After reading the various autocross setup threads here I'm kind of bummed but those threads all seem to be geared toward competing at high level in SCCA. Although I would like to run every event in my local area I really don't have the time and I know I'm too slow in any car to be a Nationals winner.

What I would like to know is how to prep this car to run well and reliably on street tires that fit the stock GTCS wheels. Class isn't important to me because in my mind I'm only competing against my own times not the other drivers. In 1998 B.C. (before children) I briefly ran a BMW 323i in Dmod (it was really a US 320 with swapped Euro 6 cyl). I never had a chance against the Lotus drivers but I always had fun.

Tires
I know I need better tires, the car came on Sumitomo HTR ZIIIs and so far I can't say I'm particularly impressed.
Considering 2 maybe 3 events a year what tires would make the best compromise for daily driver/event use? A 2Nd set of wheels might be an option later but not right now.

Transmission
I have already experienced the shifting issues and plan to add a transmission mount insert on the “it's cheap so why not” philosophy. Assuming someone has them in stock.

Brakes
Currently all stock, so pads and fluid would be 3rd on my list of upgrades but what pads?

Suspension
I really don't want to lower the car because it already scrapes backing out of my drive. Other than that I'm not opposed to changing anything here even if it means more NVH.

FWIW the car came with Roush pipes and is LOUD hence “5LitersofLoud” but the stock mufflers are so heavy I just can't bear to put them back on.

Thanks
Jamie

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
Look at Terry Fairs posts in this section. Tons of info. How deep are you wanting to get into AutoX? You can go stock or you can go stupid. Just depends on how much money you want to dump into the car... Ask me how I know.:crazy:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
So yeah. Read Terry's thread, my thread, Whiskey11's thread, SkyRender's thread.

But to answer the questions you posed:

Tires- how much do you drive, and, do you drive in winter? If you don't drive a lot, and don't drive in winter, I think you could swing doing double duty with Hankook RS3's, BFG Rivals, Bridgestone RE11's, something like that.

The transmission mount insert is GREAT don't let anybody tell you differently

Brakes- I run and like Carbotech AX6's, they are a bit noisy at low speeds once they get hot, but they're fantastic for autox.

Suspension- Don't want to lower??? hrmm.... If you're staying stock ride height, the Koni Sport (yellow) is probably a good bet.

In summary- you will probably want to try out F Street next year in SCCA. Your criteria listed here fit. Once you get everything done that you've listed, about the only thing left for you to do would be a swaybar. I would probably do the front bar.

5LitersofLoud

Reaction score
csamsh, thanks for that. I did read through all the threads except SkyRender's (only because I didn't see it). You guys are all in way deeper than I want to be, at least until college is off my debt horizon and by that time I'll be racing rascals at the local nursing home.

I have never seen a protest other than @ the National in Evansville IN once but would the transmission bushing be allowed in street? If not does anyone care if you're not winning?

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
It's probably not strictly legal? I don't know much about that rule set though.

03machme

forum member
Reaction score
If your just wanting to have some fun then just take it out there as is and have fun. I only have minimal mods for now and have done decent in the few events I have been too. I agree you proudly need better tires and I am going to go with the RS3 for dual duty for my car. I don't drive it daily but is also a street car. The more you do it in this car the more you will want some suspension mods. I have Springs and am going to add brembo brakes and adjustable shocks and struts here very soon. Once I get that done I'll do sways and just enjoy the car. Good luck

Justin_H

Blingy Convertible Driver
Reaction score
I ran RS3s daily for the past couple months and can tell you they lose grip in a hurry as it cools off. If it's below 60 degrees, I get a little tire spin leaving work. Below 50 degrees I get a lot. Once you drive a bit they are ok. They also pick up every rock, pebble and bit of sand you drive near, so get used to hearing them beating on your paint. They do have great grip when warm. You'll have to decide if it's worth putting up with the rest. My crappy stock Pirellis are back on- they're way better in cool October weather. In April I'll probably put the RS3s back on.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I recently bought a 2011 GTCS. This is a huge change of direction for me, I have been driving imports since 1992 and with the exception of my truck and a well used BMW they were all fwd. I had every intention of purchasing an Infinity G37 when I found a pretty good deal on this Mustang. I thought great, I'll get back into autocrossing but only searched for manufacturing defects before signing the papers. After reading the various autocross setup threads here I'm kind of bummed but those threads all seem to be geared toward competing at high level in SCCA. Although I would like to run every event in my local area I really don't have the time and I know I'm too slow in any car to be a Nationals winner.

Good base line for the post so far...

What I would like to know is how to prep this car to run well and reliably on street tires that fit the stock GTCS wheels. Class isn't important to me because in my mind I'm only competing against my own times not the other drivers. In 1998 B.C. (before children) I briefly ran a BMW 323i in Dmod (it was really a US 320 with swapped Euro 6 cyl). I never had a chance against the Lotus drivers but I always had fun.

I'd look at one of these 3 SCCA classes: F Street (F Stock on street tires, which will be what all of F Stock runs next year), STU or ESP. Or the best classing option for SCCA: "IDGAF", which is the "I don't give a ****" class, and for any SCCA racing that is the best attitude to take, in my opinion. :) See, Mustangs aren't exactly classed very well outside of Stock class, and even the once sacred "pony car class" ESP class has been invaded by AWD boost buggies, because, you know.... they only have like 6 other competitive SCCA Solo classes to win, so why not give them 7? :yuck:

Tires
I know I need better tires, the car came on Sumitomo HTR ZIIIs and so far I can't say I'm particularly impressed.
Considering 2 maybe 3 events a year what tires would make the best compromise for daily driver/event use? A 2Nd set of wheels might be an option later but not right now.
Yep, you guessed correctly - Sumitomo HTR tires are, unfortunately, some of the worst tires money can buy. Most Korean tires tend to be some of the worst options. Don't take that as criticism - you bought the car on these tires, and that's what people get when they want the cheapest tires available. The good news is: ANYTHING will be an upgrade to these. :thumb2:

I made a post about my recommendations for good street tires to compete on, earlier today. That was mostly geared toward track use but the same brands and models work well for the F Street, STU or "IDGAF" classes. Post #19 in this thread: http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107532

Transmission
I have already experienced the shifting issues and plan to add a transmission mount insert on the “it's cheap so why not” philosophy. Assuming someone has them in stock.

_DSC1574-M.jpg

The Whiteline KDT928 trans bushing insert looks like a Sci-Fi space ship. Pew! Pew! Pew!

Yep, this is a solid upgrade to shifting (avoid aftermarket short shifters if you can - they can cause a LOT of added shift effort and NVH, and some brands are much worse than others) but these Whiteline kits are out of stock in most places. We got two small shipments of these in the past 5 days but they are all going towards backorders, sorry. Could have more "any day."

DSC_0230-M.jpg

Posted this picture titled "Shiftpocalypse!" earlier today on the Vorshlag Facebook page

Brakes
Currently all stock, so pads and fluid would be 3rd on my list of upgrades but what pads?

DSC_5052-S.jpg
aaaaa-S.jpg

If I remember correctly the "CS" couldn't come with the 14" Brembos (as in - you couldn't even order them on a CS). For an autocross only car, this isn't a big deal. The 13" base GT brakes from '11-14 cars is not much of any lighter than the Brembos, but they can work well enough in parking lots. BUT, if you ever want to track the car, even casual HPDEs, then please UPGRADE TO THE BREMBOS.

_DSF2629%20copy-M.jpg

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_280&products_id=598 - Front S197 Brembo Kit

Our Brembo kit above (starting at $1135) is cheaper than the same $1600-2500 Brembo 14" brake upgrade kits from Ford, when ordered new. This is the best bang-per-buck brake upgrade there is. Our kit has optional brake pads (from Centric to Carbotech), optional Vorshlag stainless brake lines, better Centric premium rotors, all new Ford sourced mounting hardware, optional backing plates, and more. With aggressive track use front brake cooling is another great upgrade, after you've gone to the 14" Brembo bits.

Suspension
I really don't want to lower the car because it already scrapes backing out of my drive. Other than that I'm not opposed to changing anything here even if it means more NVH.

This is a MASSIVE subject, with tons of variables. We've had some good technical discussions of the Pros and Cons of coilovers vs Lowering springs + stock length struts in this Corner Carvers section this week. :) If you never want to lower the car at all, there are some cost effective solutions. If you want to go lower but don't want to spend $3K+ on a full coilover monotube set-up, we have the Bilstein StreetPro set-up for $1500, all in. Then there are the AST, MCS and other high end coilovers... and for even semi-serious competition use (autocross, time trial, etc) that's the right place to start. But this is worth a phone call to talk about the exact variables that need to be known beforehand. Give us a call and ask for Jason or Terry - we will talk shocks with anyone. :thumb2:

FWIW the car came with Roush pipes and is LOUD hence “5LitersofLoud” but the stock mufflers are so heavy I just can't bear to put them back on.

Stock Mustang WOT 3rd gear sound test = 87 dB

There is not "quiet" aftermarket muffler option for these cars. At least, just not one I've found yet. And while they are heavy the OEM mufflers do a superb job of keeping the decibels down and only rob a few horsepower (less than 10). Some of that weight is needed to keep them quiet, too. Thinner walled casings on mufflers tend to be louder, among many other variables. Yet aftermarket mufflers ("axle backs") is one of THE most common mods... again, anything shiny or "make it louder!" is super popular for Mustangs. :) And while I feel this should be one of the LAST things done but is usually the FIRST (and one of the most annoying) mods. We did several sound tests at WOT and 45 mph cruise with various parts we added to our 2011 GT.

Mustang with Steeda Cold Air Intake, WOT 3rd gear sound test = 87 dB

We first put ARH 1-7/8" full length headers + cats on our 2011 GT and kept the OEM rear exhaust, with several before and after sound tests.... the headers added 6 dB at WOT but ZERO extra noise at a 45 mph drive by, which was nice. No drone inside the car, either. But the headers added a boatload of power, from way down low all the way to redline (made 414 whp with the CAI, headers and a conservative tune over 378 whp stock).

Mustang with Steeda Cold Air Intake, ARH full lengths, WOT 3rd gear sound test = 93 dB

My advice: Don't change the mufflers from the OEM units unless you WANT it to make more noise. Eventually I relented, because I had trouble hearing the motor on track. A slightly louder exhaust note (we went from 93dB up to to 97 dB with a custom dual 3" rear exhaust and Series 44 Flowmaster mufflers) helped me tell the engine RPMs without looking at the tach, so it worked out better for my Time Trial set-up. If you daily drive the car a lot, prepare for droning and a LOT more noise at cruising speeds with aftermarket mufflers. Some folks love to set off car alarms in parking garages, though - if so, mufflers are the best way to do that.

So yeah. Read Terry's thread, my thread, Whiskey11's thread, SkyRender's thread.

But to answer the questions you posed:

Tires- how much do you drive, and, do you drive in winter? If you don't drive a lot, and don't drive in winter, I think you could swing doing double duty with Hankook RS3's, BFG Rivals, Bridgestone RE11's, something like that.

The transmission mount insert is GREAT don't let anybody tell you differently

Brakes- I run and like Carbotech AX6's, they are a bit noisy at low speeds once they get hot, but they're fantastic for autox.

Suspension- Don't want to lower??? hrmm.... If you're staying stock ride height, the Koni Sport (yellow) is probably a good bet.

In summary- you will probably want to try out F Street next year in SCCA. Your criteria listed here fit. Once you get everything done that you've listed, about the only thing left for you to do would be a swaybar. I would probably do the front bar.
^^ Great advice here, too! ^^

Cheers,

Last edited:

claudermilk

Reaction score
Yep, you guessed correctly - Sumitomo HTR tires are, unfortunately, some of the worst tires money can buy. Most Korean tires tend to be some of the worst options. Don't take that as criticism - you bought the car on these tires, and that's what people get when they want the cheapest tires available. The good news is: ANYTHING will be an upgrade to these. :thumb2:

Not surprised to read that. I've learn to not walk, but RUN away from Korean cars/parts. I'll be reading the linked tire review.

There is not "quiet" aftermarket muffler option for these cars. At least, just not one I've found yet. And while they are heavy the OEM mufflers do a superb job of keeping the decibels down and only rob a few horsepower (less than 10). Some of that weight is needed to keep them quiet, too. Thinner walled casings on mufflers tend to be louder, among many other variables. Yet aftermarket mufflers ("axle backs") is one of THE most common mods... again, anything shiny or "make it louder!" is super popular for Mustangs. :) And while I feel this should be one of the LAST things done but is usually the FIRST (and one of the most annoying) mods. We did several sound tests at WOT and 45 mph cruise with various parts we added to our 2011 GT.

Mustang with Steeda Cold Air Intake, WOT 3rd gear sound test = 87 dB

We first put ARH 1-7/8" full length headers + cats on our 2011 GT and kept the OEM rear exhaust, with several before and after sound tests.... the headers added 6 dB at WOT but ZERO extra noise at a 45 mph drive by, which was nice. No drone inside the car, either. But the headers added a boatload of power, from way down low all the way to redline (made 414 whp with the CAI, headers and a conservative tune over 378 whp stock).

Mustang with Steeda Cold Air Intake, ARH full lengths, WOT 3rd gear sound test = 93 dB

My advice: Don't change the mufflers from the OEM units unless you WANT it to make more noise. Eventually I relented, because I had trouble hearing the motor on track. A slightly louder exhaust note (we went from 93dB up to to 97 dB with a custom dual 3" rear exhaust and Series 44 Flowmaster mufflers) helped me tell the engine RPMs without looking at the tach, so it worked out better for my Time Trial set-up. If you daily drive the car a lot, prepare for droning and a LOT more noise at cruising speeds with aftermarket mufflers. Some folks love to set off car alarms in parking garages, though - if so, mufflers are the best way to do that.

^^ Great advice here, too! ^^

Cheers,

:roflmao: Guilty! ...yebbut, part of the point in buying the expensive, gas-swilling V8 is to a) hear it, and b) piss off Prius drivers and their alarms. The annoyingly loud exhaust just enhances that.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Terry, Mustangs are supposed to be loud and frightening to small children.

My car had less than 800 miles on the clock when I bolted a new cat-back on it.

5LitersofLoud

Reaction score
All,
Thanks for the continued replies. Terry I really appreciate you taking time to make such a lengthy post. I'm pretty much a one man show at work right now and know how hard it is to make time for non essentials.

I think I'm taking the car "as is" to a Porsche club autocross Saturday. Will report on the hilarity if I do.

I confess I do tend to blip the throttle when near a prius.:D

Jamie

Blame Tapatalk

lost won

Reaction score
2014 SCCA Street-R class

Re: Terry Fair post#10 above:

" F Street (F Stock on street tires, which will be what all of F Stock runs next year), "

All of F Stock might NOT be running on street tires next year. Per SCCA Fastrack News, June 2013, page 22:

"For 2014,Street-R category will compete with full National status ...
Appendix A will be unchanged from 2013. The allowances and Appendix listings will remain unchanged from those of the 2013 Stock category."

Looks like to me I've got one more year (2014) to play with Hoosiers.
Heck, it took me 18 months to learn how to drive this pig on Hoosiers.
I'm not going quietly into the night yet! :)

In 2015, only SS-R will remain, if and only if, it remains well subscribed at Nationals.

I plan to be out here tilting at windmills on Hoosiers in FStreet-R next year.

FWIW I don't see Mustangs having much chance in STU against Corvette C5s; or "AWD boost buggies" in STU or ESP.

John Brady FS 2013 Champ in San Diego Region; 2012 Mustang GT

Update: Nov 2013 SCCA Fastrack News, Page 15, seems to indicate Street-R is a go for 2014.

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I believe most of street r, with the exception of ss-r, was axed in a later fastrack. I could be wrong.

Mountain

forum member
Reaction score
If you really don't want to lower your car, but you really want a stiffer or more controlled ride, aside sway bars, you can try GT500 Performance Package springs. They will keep the front ride height basically stock and lower the rear about 1.0". The 2011-12 Performance Package spring have rates 234/197 and 256/200 for 2013-14 (per Ford; Front/Rear; lbs-inch). I actually have the 2011-12 versions on my car right now. The ride is much improved over stock; however, for autocross, the fronts are still not stiff enough.

For your MT-82, I highly recommend using Redline MTL or Amsoil Syncromesh. At the very least, the TSB Dual-Clutch Trans fluid. One of the shifter mount or shifter-to-body bushings will help too. Poly engine mounts help a ton with missed shifts in the MT-82, but will add some NVH. Beyond that, it seems the clutch (more reserve and lighter clutch disc) is really the only cure for the 2nd gear crunch/notchy-ness. The 2nd gear in these MT-82's have the synchro-to-speed gear clearance a little funky and too tight (this is why 2nd gear seems to be soo sensitive to temperature and flusid viscosity).

Honestly, the biggest bang for the S197 cars are tires, tires, dampers and sway bars (at least one adjustable one) to start off with. The Brembo breaks are a great upgrade if you plan on doing any road track events. If you don't upgrade, get some decent pads and run a good DOT 4 synthetic brake fluid (Motul, Brembo, Stoptech, Castrol SRF or ATE).

As far as tires - I used RE-11's this season and a buddy of mine, who's car I've driven at events, ran Rivals. I love the Rivals - very sticky, very forgiving, can take a lot of heat and are pretty good in the rain. I can't comment on daily driving them, but they are a little loud; not too terrible. The RE-11, I think, are probably the best daily driver/autcross/track day tire. They are plenty sticky (not as much as the Rival, RS3 or Dunlop ZII and not enugh on Mustang to be very competitive in autocross now), good in the rain, quiet, they wear well and they don't seem to be all that bad in temperatures below 50F (I've driven them down to low 30's without too much issue).

[The following tires I have limited experience with or experience though speaking to other drivers] RS3 are very sticky, can take a decent amount of heat, but seem to have a slightly softer sidewalls. Ecsta XS are really sticky and can take heat, but suck in the rain. AD08's are great (from everyone I've talked to that use them), probably just as good or better than the RE-11, but very pricey. Nitto NT05's are worth mentioning as they are cheap and relatively sticky.I don't know anyone using these. I've read about them, but no one seems to be too thrilled with them in autcross.

Stepping a little away from the more extreme summer street tires, there are two others that are maybe worth looking at: Michelin Pilot Super Sports (I've used these before) and Continental ExtremeContact DW (I know several people who use these). The Pilot SS are a great every day [warm-weather] daily driver/track tire. Pretty damn sticky, decently stiff sidewall, great in rain, good wear, but they are expensive. The Continentals are also pretty damn sticky, are awesome in rain, have good wear, but have a softer sidewall, making them less responsive.

lost won

Reaction score
I believe most of street r, with the exception of ss-r, was axed in a later fastrack. I could be wrong.

It's SCCA; we all could be wrong. I think Nov 2013 Fastrack News, page 15; seems to indicate Street-R is a go for 2014, with only SS-R surviving past that.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
It's SCCA; we all could be wrong. I think Nov 2013 Fastrack News, page 15; seems to indicate Street-R is a go for 2014, with only SS-R surviving past that.

truer words....ok sure let's go with that!

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Brembo breaks are a great upgrade if you plan on doing any road track events. If you don't upgrade, get some decent pads and run a good DOT 4 synthetic brake fluid (Motul, Brembo, Stoptech, Castrol SRF or ATE).

The Brembo brakes are necessary in autocross if you're driving hard at all. I boiled the fluid on the stock GT brakes and warped the front rotors a bit.

The 4-pot "GT500" Brembos are a cost-effective upgrade. They work will all factory parts and only require removal of the factory dust-shield. They also fit with most 18" wheels.

Even if only using OEM pads, the Brembos will give you increased stopping power (greater friction due to larger surface area of the pad and greater brake torque due to increased rotor diameter). Greater stopping power means less brake use, which equates to less heat. And since the rotors are bigger, you have more surface area for dissipating that heat and a bigger heat sink.

You should also switch to a higher-temperature brake fluid. I used ATE Super Blue, which is perfectly streetable.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back