Cooling fan failure

Reaction score
So now Wire Everything has a fan resistor delete pack. Great after I just bought their fan resistor pack. :)

I have bought two of the "ground wire" versions and paired them with new FPP fans in both my 2012 GT premium and my 2014 GT premium. They seem to be working fine and I hope that continues to be the case. I bought them a few months apart, $169 and then $199.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Bro... I LOVE where you are going with this... If you can make two, count me in!

rocknrod

Reaction score
And the opposite end WPT-916
Sigmail Side.jpg

rocknrod

Reaction score
So having said all that with shipping tax and such it's probably well over $120 just for the parts. So is it worth it?
Plus you have to "hope" when you put it together it works ... Or buy it from him for $180.
Might have to buy it. :)
It was fun exercise for me.

crjackson

Reaction score
So is this better...

Than this ...

Or do they serve different purposes?

I'm on my 3rd resistor now. Fan was replaced with GT500 7-Blade model after the 1st burnout. Then I just replaced the resistor pack & chassis connector pigtail on the next one.

I'd like to buy which ever from the above would be the permanent best solutions or near as possible.
2014 GT BTW ...

Reaction score
I would think that the age/wear of the existing fan would weigh heavily on the outcome of either solution. Is it fair to assume that the bearing wear in the fan motor is a primary cause of the high current draw and by extension the meltdown of connectors? After reading that many failures occurred around the 70k mile mark, I decided to replace both my stock 2012 GT and 2014 GT fans (approximately 63k miles) with both the FPP fan and the "Modified Fan Resistor Pack", not the "Resistor Delete" (wasn't available at the time). Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I thought that WAS the solution...

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I would think that the age/wear of the existing fan would weigh heavily on the outcome of either solution. Is it fair to assume that the bearing wear in the fan motor is a primary cause of the high current draw and by extension the meltdown of connectors?
That's exactly the reason why either the fan resistor or a relay burns up. Mileage doesn't necessarily come into it because if you do a lot of highway miles, the fan is mostly idle. Age could be a factor and driving in dusty conditions will certainly accelerate fan motor bearing wear.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
IMO, the fan has a max duty cycle by design. When you increase this by tuning, this limit is exceeded and the circuit burns up.
So, anyone who has burned up the fan circuit, were you stock or tuned?

JC SSP

Reaction score
I always thought it was more the inferior undersized factory wiring getting hot. Appears to be a common problem with them burning out. I Had to have my wire upgraded and did the GT500 fan at the same time. So far, so good.

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
When I got my 07, the fan would only work on high speed. I found the terminal in the fuse box was melted. This was in a bone stock car, the lady I got it from bought it brand new, she was the only owner.

I pulled the wires from the bottom of the stock fuse box and sent them to a leash electronics dual 70a relay setup. Used the stock relay trigger wires to trigger the leash relays. All works like stock and haven’t had another issue after driving it about 40k miles.

crjackson

Reaction score
My 1st one burned out around 19k and was replaced under warranty (no tune or other mods). The warranty OEM replacement (resistor, fan, Pigtail) burned out again at 40ish k. I replaced that one with the 3rd setup (GT500 7-blade fan/resistor, and new pigtail again).

I’m still on my 3rd rig now (the GT500 setup) at 80k, and waiting for it to fail.

The car was supercharged at 30ish k, and has had several tunes. However, MANY cooling system and airflow upgrades were also implemented, above & beyond the basic SC setup, so this may have also helped prolong the life of this 3rd unit.

Ford did repairs and said the fan was fine and had normal current draw. They came right out and said that the resistor & associated wiring are poorly engineered and failure prone.

We argued over the fan replacement. They only wanted to fix the pigtail and replace the resistor. As a fleet customer, I had some sway at the time, and got my way.

I’m fully expecting another failure soon. When it happens, I’ll be looking to modify this turd. I’ll probably go with another 7-blade fan, the HD resistor kit, and I’d like to eliminate that weakass connector.

My other 2014 GT was driven much more, had several tunes, but no physical mods. The driving was ALL stop & go, very hot, rush-hour traffic. That one never failed.

Both cars were purchased at nearly the same time (3 weeks apart), driven in the same environment.

It’s an annoying issue. I’d like to find a permanent fix. I feel like my issues didn’t happen because of the fan failing.

Back