Broken Manley Intake Valve

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
Well I´m more interested in see what they will do with me ! lol

I hope I have better luck too thumprrr ...

Blow-By Racing

forum member
Reaction score
Wow sorry to hear of the bad luck. I believe you have already called me and we spoke, but I didn't know about all the damage. When you ready for the new head call me directly and we will see what kind of better deal we can get you on the one head.... Ask for me ( Chris ext 303 )

Once again if there is anything we can do to help please let us know. Also if you have any issues with manley call me and I will try to talk to them. We sell a ton of their stuff.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I used MANLEY springs too and why would I have my VCT locked out if the Cam manufacturer, in this case Comp, claim I dont need any VCT modification on this particular cam #127300.

And it was NOT valve-to-piston problem, no other piston in the same head was hitted, BESIDES, were the valve can hit due to this problem, it wasnt hitted in this damaged piston (by the valve reliefs)

WOW!

Was it the heads? Were they preassembled or did you do them yourself??THATS why I went with limiters even though Comp said weren't 'necessary'.

Jeeze, I'd still be vomiting... Keep us posted on what develops and what the problem is after all is evaluated.

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
WOW!

Was it the heads? Were they preassembled or did you do them yourself??THATS why I went with limiters even though Comp said weren't 'necessary'.

Jeeze, I'd still be vomiting... Keep us posted on what develops and what the problem is after all is evaluated.

How would the limiters help keep the valve from breaking ?

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How would the limiters help keep the valve from breaking ?

In this case, nothing. He did not have valve to piston problems.
I did my head/cam swap myself. Being my first experience w/ VCT, I just took precautions in my build.

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
wow man, that seriously sucks. good luck in getting that all worked out

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Big time sorry for you Mex - it totally blows for sure and I know how you feel.

Those were not inconel valves, right? Get 1mm oversize inconel next go around.

My main question is regarding the guides - what guides are you using? I'd be running bronze guides if I were you...:idea:

Was the guide for that valve available or lost? How did it look?

Big Top Gt

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I think someone owes you a new motor. At the very least, they owe you a new head, and new piston/hardware for that cylinder.

Even with a sleeve, I think I'd still want replacement.

The worst part is these companies are NEVER held responsible for their crappy work. This, at least on the surface, seems pretty cut and dry.

They sold a defective part that was the direct result in what could be THOUSANDS of dollars in damage.

Someone owes you new parts/motor. It's either the company that made the part or the company that put it together.

This "thanks for your money, now what's your name, again?" crap has to end.

Andy@Livernois

Official Vendor
Reaction score
IMG_2554.jpg

IMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2556.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

It looks like the valve guide is broken... Did any pieces of the valve or piston go back into the runner to damage it?

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You and I are thinking the same I think Andy - and why I asked about the guide. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the guide could have been the culprit and the valve was the victim.

I think everyone with head jobs should use bronze guides, personally.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
it sickens me to see this....I wouldn't know what to do if something let go in my new motor....

I think someone owes you a new motor. At the very least, they owe you a new head, and new piston/hardware for that cylinder.

Even with a sleeve, I think I'd still want replacement.

The worst part is these companies are NEVER held responsible for their crappy work. This, at least on the surface, seems pretty cut and dry.

They sold a defective part that was the direct result in what could be THOUSANDS of dollars in damage.

Someone owes you new parts/motor. It's either the company that made the part or the company that put it together.

This "thanks for your money, now what's your name, again?" crap has to end.

I am not a company or sell stuff but there is no one else to blame but the company that made the valve. If they were installed correctly then the shop that installed them did nothing wrong. It looks like a defective piece of material, so can you really balme the company that cut that material and sold it of the foundry that produced the material. I think that the valve manufacturer needs to stand up and cover the damages since this isn't supposed to happen with an upgraded valve. I don't know the companys you deal with but the ones I use are some huge company's but care for the people they deal with. I ordered all my motor parts from Chris at BBR, Andy at Livernois, Jared at Lethal Performance and Adam at ST Motorsports. All of them remembered me when I called and remembered what I wanted.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Everyone knows I'm first to jump and say a company is responsible for bad products...lol

However, the failure may not be so cut and dry. Don't get me wrong, somewhere something was wrong, but if it turned out it was a guide failure that broke the valve, and the guide was stock and the weak link in the valve train, then is who is to blame? Ford, the company who built the heads and didn't upgrade the guides, etc, etc?

I'm not saying it's anything and it very well could be the intake valve was junk in which case manley should buy that man a new motor pronto.

I just think first and foremost it should be determined exactly what happened and what part was the catalyst of the failure - then go from there.

You all may not remember but I had very similar pictures a long time ago that all stemmed around the stock valve guides being ground down during the port job and causing me to lose a brand new motor the first trip off the dyno.

I think 1mm oversize inconel valves and bronze guides are a must have in the valve train and this is just another example of why.

No matter what the results are, it is still a safe bet to sure up every inch of the valve train IMO.

My opinion doesn't mean squat, but personally, I think the guides or an issue with the lockouts (install or tuning wise) may be more suspect than the valve itself - but who knows?

Last edited:

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh yea, I have manley valves and they are +1. It looks as though the valve snapped

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
@Mark - they all were (intake & exhaust) +1 mm valves

and if any piece of debris was flying around the cilinder, it either was sucked up by the intake and spreaded it all over the intake manifold and several cilinders or it went through the exhaust before the exhaust valve was bent by the piston crushing the broken valve head against the exhaust one.

@Andy - The valve guide is not broken, I dont know the exact name for it or process it recieves in English, but its part of the porting done by BBR ( I may asume). all the guides of both heads are the same, exhaust and intakes. That simple cut seems to follow the airflow of each particular valve.

Last edited:

Eric298

Got V8?
Reaction score
This hurts me just looking at it. I hate that feeling its the worst, especially when you have a freshly built engine!

Good Luck I hope you get everything worked out!!!

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This happened to me around 10 days ago, but didnt had the mood to post it around. So after 2 days and maybe 30 miles of driving around with the new engine, the car started to sound with a different exhaust note and after few mins the car died and never started again.

Wow. So sorry to see and hear about your loss. Man that sucks mule dicks.

You mention the sound as a different exhaust note. You mean it didn't sound like two peg legged men on a tin roof having an ass kicking contest? There should have been some serious LOUD metallic rapping when that happened.

Hope they can salvage the block and all for you.

Mike

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
Wow. So sorry to see and hear about your loss. Man that sucks mule dicks.

You mention the sound as a different exhaust note. You mean it didn't sound like two peg legged men on a tin roof having an ass kicking contest? There should have been some serious LOUD metallic rapping when that happened.

Hope they can salvage the block and all for you.

Mike

I dont recall hearing that metallic sound thing, maybe it was because I was cruising with stereo on and paying atention in how should I start the engine while the car moving .... steering wheel gets very stiff too, no brake pedal preasure either, you know, when the car just dies

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
You and I are thinking the same I think Andy - and why I asked about the guide. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the guide could have been the culprit and the valve was the victim.

I think everyone with head jobs should use bronze guides, personally.
How hard is it to change the valve guides in these heads?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back