Broken Manley Intake Valve

Big Top Gt

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I am not a company or sell stuff but there is no one else to blame but the company that made the valve. If they were installed correctly then the shop that installed them did nothing wrong. It looks like a defective piece of material, so can you really balme the company that cut that material and sold it of the foundry that produced the material. I think that the valve manufacturer needs to stand up and cover the damages since this isn't supposed to happen with an upgraded valve. I don't know the companys you deal with but the ones I use are some huge company's but care for the people they deal with. I ordered all my motor parts from Chris at BBR, Andy at Livernois, Jared at Lethal Performance and Adam at ST Motorsports. All of them remembered me when I called and remembered what I wanted.

I agree 100%.

If it turns out to have been the result of an issue stemming from assembly, the builder has to stand up. That's all I meant. :)

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
you´re starting to doubt about yours with all this? hehe they cost $100 :thumb:
Hey while its apart ya know! I dont have Manley valve train it is all Comp Cams. But my guides are shit on the ends and I just had them sleeved the last time but am rethinking now.
Also this a post I made on "the other site" in your thead as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstoner06
they should pay to fix everything that was damaged and labor, their faulty part caused all your issues.

They wont though . One thing I have learned in the after market world is "these are perfomance parts and all sales are final " . Ive seen it to many times now. While I hope Im wrong in this case as I definately fell your pain Mex but if anyone "steps up" I will be suprised as will you Im sure. My wrong pistons from Manley were nobodys fault either I tell someone then they tell the whosaler then he tells Manley and its nobodys fault I received the wrong pistons .Good luck brother!

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
yeah I understand in the "performance" parts and they are sold as is, but WTF not even OEM valves break in half within 30 miles of use, thats plain stupid.

I´ll see next week when Jesse recieves my valves to checkup ...

Has anyone tried Ferrea valves yet ?

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
yeah I understand in the "performance" parts and they are sold as is, but WTF not even OEM valves break in half within 30 miles of use, thats plain stupid.

I hope they step up and do the right thing but Im not going to pump false hope ya know. I do understand the WTF part as well . I just wish more companys would stand up and say " yes we had a problem here but we steped up up and took care of it " that to me is better then never haveing a problem. Thats the way I run my business and I beleive word of mouth is everthing . As far as the owners go , they SHOULD feel the same , becouse with out people saying good things about your product then you have nothing. Once again god luck and I wish you all the best!

Andy@Livernois

Official Vendor
Reaction score

I would say if it is a valve failure it would be one heck of an unfortunate fluke, all of our stage 3 heads (not just 3v stuff) use manley valves and in all the years we have been doing heads not one has failed without external causes (i.e. PTV or guide wear/breakage). Definitely let them do their analysis to see what happened...

travelers

Reaction score
I was thinking if the valve locks were installed and seated in the retainers correctly. If it poped off it would let the valve drop in and would brake off. Just a thought.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I was thinking if the valve locks were installed and seated in the retainers correctly. If it poped off it would let the valve drop in and would brake off. Just a thought.
Everything including the retainers were correct . Mex stated.

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
I hope they step up and do the right thing but Im not going to pump false hope ya know. I do understand the WTF part as well . I just wish more companys would stand up and say " yes we had a problem here but we steped up up and took care of it " that to me is better then never haveing a problem. Thats the way I run my business and I beleive word of mouth is everthing . As far as the owners go , they SHOULD feel the same , becouse with out people saying good things about your product then you have nothing. Once again god luck and I wish you all the best!

I hope they can hear you or have a bit of seriousness with their products!

I would say if it is a valve failure it would be one heck of an unfortunate fluke, all of our stage 3 heads (not just 3v stuff) use manley valves and in all the years we have been doing heads not one has failed without external causes (i.e. PTV or guide wear/breakage). Definitely let them do their analysis to see what happened...

Well, this type of flukes suck big time, why cant I get one of this flukes with the lotto or something similar? lol

I´m impatient to hear the results of their tests, dont even know what they´ll be doing to the valve(s) but one thing is for sure i´ve been 100% serious and honest saying it was a valve failure

The valve didnt "poped off" the valve stem was still in the place it should be when we took the valve cover off, and it wasnt even bent.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Yep - Iconel valves are pretty damn stout. In my case on my first built motor, the guides had been ground down during the porting process and were re-used. It caused me to tap a piston and my valve did the exact same thing (broke off at the top). When I had measured the guides - they were visible to the eye shorter than a stock one and 'jagged'. I went through the same thing and had the valves sent to manley and inspected and manley said the valves were normal and would not even consider any defect on their part - and this was before I knew about or discovered the guides. They are not going to jump in and admit fault I'm afraid - even if they are at fault. Sucks any way you slice it, mex - and I feel bad and wish the best for you.

I made sure I got livernois heads with new bronze guides on the next go around.

I'm not saying this is the case Mex - AT ALL - I'm just giving you some info.

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Yep - Iconel valves are pretty damn stout. In my case on my first built motor, the guides had been ground down during the porting process and were re-used. It caused me to tap a piston and my valve did the exact same thing (broke off at the top). When I had measured the guides - they were visible to the eye shorter than a stock one and 'jagged'. I went through the same thing and had the valves sent to manley and inspected and manley said the valves were normal and would not even consider any defect on their part - and this was before I knew about or discovered the guides. They are not going to jump in and admit fault I'm afraid - even if they are at fault. Sucks any way you slice it, mex - and I feel bad and wish the best for you.

Do you have a part # for the guides that you are talking about ?

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score

Yeah I know ... it sucks, because even if it was their fault, they can simplay say no it wasnt, and I cant do something to proove them wrong :tdown:

When I get the extra cash for another set of heads, i´m throwing in Ferrea oversized valves for sure.

For now, I have a set of Manley Springs and Ti retainers for sale. 30 - 40 miles of use, LOL.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know ... it sucks, because even if it was their fault, they can simplay say no it wasnt, and I cant do something to proove them wrong :tdown:

When I get the extra cash for another set of heads, i´m throwing in Ferrea oversized valves for sure.

For now, I have a set of Manley Springs and Ti retainers for sale. 30 - 40 miles of use, LOL.

Don't forget bronze guides to go with those new valves!

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you have a part # for the guides that you are talking about ?

I couldn't find a part number just for them but I garuntee any of the vendors who sell heads and valve train stuff will know about them and can get them.

Mark

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
BTW does anyone know of a reputable shop that repairs heads? I´d like to ask first if this head can be saved before I spend almost 3K on a newer set.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I will go out on a limb and say that there isn't anyway the head is replaceable because of the highlighted areas. I may be wrong but if they clean that damage up then the rest of the heads will have to be machined since the combustion chamber would be alot bigger in that location. If you look at the valve seal area it is to far damaged to fix IMO. Sorry but I think you will need atleast 1 new head.

Attachments

• IMG_2558.jpg
    IMG_2558.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 34

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back