My #8 goes bye bye and who know's why - OP runs and hides

ViciousJay

forum member
Reaction score
Really?? Oh, ok well I had no idea. Was that discussed here?? I would like to see all of that, especailly if it would be that easy to erase any evidence.

no but it was one two other bigger sites

Aandf1978

M90 SUPPORTER!!
Reaction score
Cool I'll have to look into that, sure would be interesting and valuable information to uncover to a site like this.

ViciousJay

forum member
Reaction score
Cool I'll have to look into that, sure would be interesting and valuable information to uncover to a site like this.

im looking for the threads now for you guys, id like to say who it was but not sure if ill get into trouble over it

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Maybe it's because there is no need to aggressively tune the P/A cars combo.
Ya think?

I agree. I think on boosted cars the timing gets reduced and lots of fuel gets added. The SC adds all the hp. On n/a cars the timing gets increased, and at times the a/f gets leaned out or changed all for max hp over what it's already making. Ford has already said these motors are on the edge as far as timing and compression, so to squeeze any more out of them without a power adder by increasing timing is simply asking for trouble.

oh no i guess you forgot the DO NOT BOOST INTO 5 or 6 gear threads do you? :deadhorse:

I've owned 3 '03 Cobras. I'm quire familiar with what they're capable (or incapable) of. One was bone stock. One was mildly modified, and the other was twin turbo.

Last edited:

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
94tbird mentioned this to me in a separate convo - interesting how it seems the N/A cars are the ones losing a piston and not the blower cars............. food for thought

Hmmmm, now I've got extra leverage with the wife to get that Procharger or Whipple kit I was planning on getting next year.

She did just ask what I wanted for my birthday!

Me: Baby, I need to get a blower to keep my # 8 piston intact.

Her: What the hell is a # 8 piston?

Me: It's very expensive!

Her: Damnit Nick! It's always something. Well, if you get a blower the piston will be ok?

Me: Yup!

Her: sigh

Me: Thanks babe! I'll place the order, and we'll know the 5.0 is safe.

69Mach1-409

Reaction score
Hmmmm, now I've got extra leverage with the wife to get that Procharger or Whipple kit I was planning on getting next year.

Her: Damnit Nick! It's always something. Well, if you get a blower the piston will be ok?

HAHAHA!

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
You could go and trade your car in for a new 5.0 right now. Get a tune and your number 8 piston be on its way out. You wouldnt even notice.

Youd never drive it lol

:la::towlwhip:

it was verified by a tooner that it was true and it works, all you need is 4 things

a car
a tune
a scanner
and someone to drain the battery

I'd like to see this proof. I've read on other major forums that NOTHING can be done to hide the fact the PCM has been flashed/tampered with.

I'm always up for being proven wrong though.

Nick said:

v8-motor.gif

WHIPPLE FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Last edited:

Aandf1978

M90 SUPPORTER!!
Reaction score
Good luck with that Nick!!! Let us know how that works out for ya!! And also how many foot rubs and how much sex you have to give up for that to happen!!

:LMAO:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
No wai bro, everyone said it was impossible.
NOT LUND.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good luck with that Nick!!! Let us know how that works out for ya!! And also how many foot rubs and how much sex you have to give up for that to happen!!

:LMAO:

No joke, I'm trying it tonight!

She may buy the story. I'm working on believing it myself, so I can sell it better!

I'll create my own "build" thread in Pimpin' It if I can pull this off!

I'll likely have to wait until the end of the month to order it, so for now it's research time.

Whipple or Procharger?!?

Witt

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting thread however sorry to hear about your situation OP.

As an amateur tuner (I do it as a hobby, not as a career so my opinion doesn't hold any weight) the first thing that pops into my mind is detonation given the circumstances of a stock longblock NA engine. When its an issue, most engines like to destroy a specific ringland or piston every time.

I don't have any ford 3v files in front of me to check nor do I have access to Coyote cals but I would guess that the base borderline knock table + adders minus knock retard + global spark adder (hopefully tuners aren't using this value though) could be overruning maximum allowable spark retard to effectively dimish circumstances of high levels of knock in very specific cases ie. high IATs, prolonged engine loading etc. I tune mostly GMs so I'm not even sure if Fords have max spark retard values that would become an issue without grabbing my laptop and checking. If they do, I wonder if stock retard limits are high enough for cars with greatly advanced timing over stock 87 levels.

Just an opinion as its been over a year since I've tuned my now traded procharged 09 3v. From what I've seen, except for the cam phasing tables, fueling and spark is similar between the 3v and 4v.

topbliss

Reaction score
i suppose there were no failures in the first 2 years of the s197 motor?! haha give it a little time, they will figure out all the bugs

as a matter of fact, there were not.. Especially from just a tune on a NA engine.. If so you would have seen a tsb (like the 5.0) claiming not to warrant engines with tunes.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back