2014 Solo Rulebook draft - Classic American Muscle

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
I'm excited for this, I've never autocrossed before and I've decided this summer I'm going to try it. I've been looking at rules and classing and I think this is good for me since if I understand the rules I'd be in a pretty uber class? Mods listed below.

This thread is proof that no matter what you do or how rules are changed there is always going to be complaining. No vettes, no thread rule, no this or that.

Last edited:

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
That's funny! For the most part it comes naturally, thanks for noticing.

If I remember right, on more than one occasion you ranted how terrible SCCA was because of their rules that didn't allow you to modify the car as you saw fit. Here is essentially an open class where you can mod your car all you want but they outlawed your tires with the 200 TW number that (thanks for the update Whiskey) will be the standard number across the board and you still are complaining.

So, a recap from the beginning, you said "should be 180" and I said "why" and you said "that is what I run" and I said "got it".......and then you knighted me Sir Asseth of Hole.

So what size are you running? Tire Rack show the Goodyear Eagle F1 supercar as a 220 treadwear except for one size, 255/45-18. I thought you were on 285/40-18s, and at $159 each that is a smoking deal and at 220 TW they meet the minimum treadwear requirements so I really don't know what the problem is.

It certainly isn't the G:2 tires as those come at 220 so I'm not sure which tires he is running. Unfortunately for him, the fact of the matter is that the class rules are designed as you stated, to attract the Pro Touring/Good Guys autocross. Most of those guys ARE willing to spend the money on a set of competitive tires. 200 is the perfect number for right now. Lots of options at 200 treadwear.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's funny! For the most part it comes naturally, thanks for noticing.

If I remember right, on more than one occasion you ranted how terrible SCCA was because of their rules that didn't allow you to modify the car as you saw fit. Here is essentially an open class where you can mod your car all you want but they outlawed your tires with the 200 TW number that (thanks for the update Whiskey) will be the standard number across the board and you still are complaining.

So, a recap from the beginning, you said "should be 180" and I said "why" and you said "that is what I run" and I said "got it".......and then you knighted me Sir Asseth of Hole.

So what size are you running? Tire Rack show the Goodyear Eagle F1 supercar as a 220 treadwear except for one size, 255/45-18. I thought you were on 285/40-18s, and at $159 each that is a smoking deal and at 220 TW they meet the minimum treadwear requirements so I really don't know what the problem is.

For some dumb reason, the Goodyears I ordered (which said 220 on Tire Rack) showed up with 180 printed on the sidewalls. :bs:

lost won

Reaction score
Given that this is a provisional class...I think I'll propose some regional modifications here-

And on that note...can anybody else think of any obvious "not in the spirit of the class" car?

Yes, anything built after about 1973.

Remember, CLASSIC American Muscle?

Last edited:

Justin_H

Blingy Convertible Driver
Reaction score

I suppose the newer cars would be MAM- Modern American Muscle.

There is a Maverick for sale locally that the wife has shown some interest in. Might be fun with a Coyote or a big Windsor in it and some big Rivals. I'm positive it has more potential than her big purple Charger.

Justin

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
These are results from the first San Diego Region SCCA CAM class event, 26 January 2014. San Diego capped the class at 1978. Not a bad turnout for an inaugural effort. Complete results are here . Some show up in photos here.

CAMresults20140126.jpg

Last edited:

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score

I'm hoping they will keep allowing the modern stick axle pony cars, as those fit in well with the high end G-Machine builds using classic Detroit iron. But hey, if they want to keep it pre-1973 that's cool too, as it would keep out the heavy hitter modern Corvettes. From what I read the official CAM rules don't exclude any year cars.

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I'm hoping they will keep allowing the modern stick axle pony cars, as hose fit in well with the high end builds using classic Detroit iron. But hey, if they want to keep it pre 1973 that's cool too, as it would keep out the heavy hitter modern Corvettes.

But Terry I thought Corvettes can't be autocrossed on street tires? Didn't we learn that before anybody tried it with the new street classes? lol.

I certainly hope the modern cars are left in...there are so many more people who want to flog on their modded newer cars than flog on their pristinely restored muscle cars, at least in places I've lived.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
Wtf? Lol

I think there are a ton of people that want to flog say like fox bodies and pony cars that only want to do it a time or two and don't want to go in a big boy class because of the mods.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Wtf? Lol

I think there are a ton of people that want to flog say like fox bodies and pony cars that only want to do it a time or two and don't want to go in a big boy class because of the mods.

I mean pre-79 stuff.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
There are two distinctly different groups of older car enthusiasts. One is for the numbers matching, lawn chair and crying doll set and the other is for cars that are driven hard - as hard or harder than many of us with newer iron.

I posted this picture once today of a car that gets driven hard enough to occasionally break stuff. Blew parts out the side of an LS-7 and oiled the track down good a couple of years ago at NJMP (a couple hundred yards up-track from my avatar picture, actually). This is the sort of "Pro-Touring" car that goes to Optima and similar events.

norm-peterson-albums-stuff-picture7722-muttstang-optima-auto-x.jpg

Norm

Last edited:

Whiskey11

Reaction score
There are two distinctly different groups of older car enthusiasts. One is for the numbers matching, lawn chair and crying doll set and the other is for cars that are driven hard - as hard or harder than many of us with newer iron.

I posted this picture once today of a car that gets driven hard enough to occasionally break stuff. Blew parts out the side of an LS-7 and oiled the track down good a couple of years ago at NJMP. This is the sort of "Pro-Touring" car that goes to Optima and similar events.

http://www.njstangers.org/members/norm-peterson-albums-stuff-picture7722-muttstang-optima-auto-x.jpg

Norm

You left out the part where that is a heavily modified C5 Corvette (or was it a C6?) designed to look like a Mustang! ;)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
You left out the part where that is a heavily modified C5 Corvette (or was it a C6?) designed to look like a Mustang! ;)
Actually, it borrows only the engine and front suspension from the Corvette, the rear suspension is pure NASCAR (truck arm), ran a dog-ring 4 speed transmission last I knew, and the rest including a frame is mostly owner-fabbed/modified.

Near as I can tell, it still fits within the CAM rules.

Norm

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Actually, it borrows only the engine and front suspension from the Corvette, the rear suspension is pure NASCAR (truck arm), ran a dog-ring 4 speed transmission last I knew, and the rest including a frame is mostly owner-fabbed/modified.

Near as I can tell, it still fits within the CAM rules.

Norm

Are you sure it isn't also the body of a Corvette? Those "hips" are not Mustang hips and I remember a lot of cursing and swearing by the owner about fitting the roof and front clip to the Corvette. That is unless I'm thinking of a different car that had a huge build thread on C-C.com?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Ron works in metal, and actually re-worked the lower quarters after an incident at NJMP where the engine let go, oiled the track (and his rear tires), and the left rear kissed the Armco.

The AMX he's currently building up has a fiberglass hood, but that's it as far as I know.

Norm

FullAhead

forum member
Reaction score
Jeeeezuz. 335's all around on that AMX. That thing will be crazy!

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Ron works in metal, and actually re-worked the lower quarters after an incident at NJMP where the engine let go, oiled the track (and his rear tires), and the left rear kissed the Armco.

The AMX he's currently building up has a fiberglass hood, but that's it as far as I know.

Norm

I must be thinking of a different car then. There was a guy who hacked up a newer model Corvette, slapped on the green house of a Mustang and front end and it was all Corvette underneath.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back