damp driver floorboard

nitrod86gt

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys..been smelling a mildew smell in the stang for a lil while now..of course i have heard of the TSB about the passenger side but has anyone experienced a damn driver floorboard? same issue or something more? I will pull the cowl cover tomorrow and check all drains and the drain under the cabin filter..any help?

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
in the firewall on both sides are drains, remove them and pull the debris out and reinstall them

nitrod86gt

forum member
Reaction score
so the clogged drain can affect the drivers side floorboard as well?

nitrod86gt

forum member
Reaction score
Driver side drain plug was clogged..havent pulled the cowl yet but i will run it like it is and see if it gets wet again...or go hit the car wash today and spray water in the cowl and look for leaks..

nitrod86gt

forum member
Reaction score
I just wanted to re-visit this guys...Finally got my entire interior out (except dash) and here is what I found: All of the sound deadening from front and rear floorboards were wet. So the car has leaked on BOTH sides enough to flow back to the rear floorboard panels from what I can see. In the trunk area, on the right side behind the carpet there is a TINY bit of water back there as well. Now this isnt affecting the front area, just pointed it out because I have seen other guys mention their wheel wells filling up back there. SOOOO with that said I am pulling the cowl grill tonight to try and figure out where in the hell the water is obviously rushing in from. I have the TA-2 and the service bulletin in hand. I am very dissapointed at this quality mis-step. Shame on you Ford for selling a 30K car that leaks.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
I had a brand new 06 f150 xlt with the 5.4 and it leaked also. It would let water in if you would just wash the truck. Took it to the dealer and they put in new carpet and fixed the leak. I think they said it was coming from the windshield not being sealed.

white05

Reaction score
Mine was leaking around every one of those square black clips that hold the cowl cover on, as well as a joint where the firewall/cowl panel was spot welded together. I took the black clips out, threw away the shitty gaskets and smeared the back side of them with some urethane windshield sealer. I also sealed the joint with it. Problem solved with zero leaks for over a year now.

06iornhorse

forum member
Reaction score
mine leaked where the a pillar and cowl meet I had to remove the fender and seal it hope your sjb doesn't short on you down the road like mine did.

nitrod86gt

forum member
Reaction score
OK so I finally got someone to go over the car with a hose for me while I sat inside. Definitly has something to do with the upper door seals that touch the windows or the channel behind that outisde trim. Havent pulled it off yet but when I run water in those areas water pours down where the pictures are marked. It's weird too because it runs BEHIND where those two pieces of metal meet. I assume that the weatherstrip and trim is clipped in along the body and the water is getting in there because the seal that seals them off has gone bad or something. Pics attatched. Any input appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCF0145.JPG
    DSCF0145.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCF0144.JPG
    DSCF0144.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 160

nitrod86gt

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so i checked into it a little bit further...behind the roof channel weatherstrips is a black plastic trim piece for looks...on the BACK side of this piece is ANOTHER piece of weatherstrip or a seal..when you look at the trim in certain places, you can actually SEE where the seal is basically boiling its way inbetween the trim piece and the metal body...from what i understand the seal prevents water from going into the screw holes and running down inside the a pillar and into the floor JUST like mine is doing. So with that said I am going to pull the trim off, install new and improved weather seals, seam seal around the bolt holes and hopefully call it a day... I am still going to perform the TSB even though we ran water ALL over the cowl and wiring grommets with no leaks and hopefully end this bullshit.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I've got a leak happening in my trunk right now and I believe I've narrowed the source down to the bracket that the trunk struts attach to on the body panel. It's actually alot of water that shows up down by where the vents are in the trunk. I don't know how many people have checked down there, but after the big rain we had a few days ago I had about 1.5" of water in there!

Hopefully it'll be warm enough this weekend for me to hit it with a hose and check it to be sure. Hopefully some silicone will take care of it.

nitrod86gt

forum member
Reaction score
SOOOO I found the leak for sure. I pulled the window weatherstrip first and then took out the screws to the seal retainers and dropped the seal retainers out. (these are the black plastic strips that hold your window weather strip to the body.)..so by lookin at the pictures you guys can see that these seals are SCREWED...they are supposed to be a solid seal, all the way down the retainer against the body...if these seals are bad, water will run behind the retainer, inside the A-pillar and inside the car into the floorboard on both sides. (if both seals are bad). this is a 36K mile car that spent the first part of it's life in Florida. These retainers have never been removed so these seals must have basically baked themselves out inbetween the body and the retainer over time and no one's noticed. Hopefully this will help some of you guys that are looking for leaks. Enjoy the pics! Keep in mind, this should be one solid seal all the way down the retainer. As you can see, neither are worth a shit. Oh and none stuck to the car or anything as I pulled them off. Everything that was there is still sticking to the retainer. Way to go Ford!

Attachments

• DSCF0332.JPG
    DSCF0332.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCF0316.JPG
    DSCF0316.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCF0322.JPG
    DSCF0322.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF0324.JPG
    DSCF0324.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCF0325.JPG
    DSCF0325.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF0326.JPG
    DSCF0326.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF0327.JPG
    DSCF0327.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCF0328.JPG
    DSCF0328.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF0331.JPG
    DSCF0331.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF0329.JPG
    DSCF0329.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 88

james05gt

forum member
Reaction score
Bumpin this up, how do you take those plastic trims off? yank em out by hand? need to check my seals.

Redfire_WNL

THE BEAST UNLEASHED!
Reaction score
Pull the rubber part off and there will be screws that hold that plastic piece onto the car. Replace that weatherproof seal with some seals you can buy at lowes. I did this two years ago and I have had no problems since and I have had every leak possible on this car but all is well now

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back