C&L Arrived for N/A Big Bore Stroker.. Pics!

FastOrange

forum member
Reaction score
A detailed parts list of everything, especially these "small parts" you speak of would be great when its all said and done so that those of us (cough cough) planning on doing similar builds will be informed. Also what CAI will you be using? I dont hink that ? has been asked yet. Well I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear how this turns out, especially the manifold comparo. Good luck and post as soon as you guys get results!!!

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A detailed parts list of everything, especially these "small parts" you speak of would be great when its all said and done so that those of us (cough cough) planning on doing similar builds will be informed. Also what CAI will you be using? I dont hink that ? has been asked yet. Well I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear how this turns out, especially the manifold comparo. Good luck and post as soon as you guys get results!!!

Welcome to the site. Nice first post.

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score

Welcome to the site! :beerchug2:

We will be using the factory Bullitt CAI.

I'll be sure to post any results as soon as I have them.

-Rick

FastOrange

forum member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Nice first post.

Thanks guys! I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and have been a regular on Modded Mustangs for a couple of years. A link to a thread about the C&L manifold brought me over here and opened my eyes to a whole other knowledge base so here I am and I'm loving what I'm reading. I'll get my garage and sig up soon.

o0Dan0o

forum member
Reaction score
Rick, do you have any pictures of the big-bore block? I'm curious to see how much material is left after stretching the bore that wide.
Dan

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Rick, do you have any pictures of the big-bore block? I'm curious to see how much material is left after stretching the bore that wide.
Dan

It is based off the FRPP Boss50 block which is cast with a 3.700 bore diameter. Available in cast iron or aluminum.

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Is it at all possible to get a vague idea of what a set-up like that would cost to build?

Its had me drooling for 4 pages here!

This is a sleeved production 3V block, specs are:

Cost for this shortblock is $7,099.00

New Aluminum Production Block
Livernois/LA Sleeve Custom 3.700" Sleeve
Custom Livernois Forged Steel Stroker Crankshaft
JE Custom Big Bore Pistons
JE Rings, Locks, and Wrist Pins
Livernois Exclusive Manley H-Beam Rods w/ ARP 2000 Bolts
Clevite Tri-Armor Coated Bearings
ARP Main Studs
No Core Charge

Dan

Here is a photo of the sleeved block vs. a non-sleeved block.

Sleeved

IMG_6080.jpg

Non-Sleeved

IMG_6079.jpg

-Rick

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
Nice build Rick, I can't wait to see some numbers. Too bad you guys couldn't have used a large CAI like a C&L Racer or something.

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
Your welcome, I've been dying to see a big bore N/A build like this. It seems to me everytime someone builds a 3v engine, they go straight to FI, and I know its cheaper to do that, but its nice to see one of the builds be N/A once in awhile. I bet it hits over 400rwhp. Even though the guy wants to keep it a sleeper, I'm sure a larger CAI would help a good bit(10-15 more HP IMO)

o0Dan0o

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks rick, the block looks really good. I was a little worried it would be a siamese bore which I have heard can cause head gasket issues. Looks awesome though! I'll be ordering one at some point, probably after I get a job:idea:

I'm sure a larger CAI would help a good bit(10-15 more HP IMO)

The bullitt CAI is pretty good. Not C&L racer good, but I think it'd be more like a 5 rwhp difference, not 10-15. I'd really like to see a test though, as I've read back-to-back dynos between the C&L racer and the Steeda 90mm, and I think the C&L won by 5+ rwhp.
Dan

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
Chad05gt switched to a C&L Racer from a Steeda and he actually gained 13rwhp. He went from 351rwhp with the steeda to 364rwhp with the C&L, so I see 10-15rwhp possible from a Bullitt to C&L Racer CAI switch on the stroker Rick is putting together.

Last edited:

o0Dan0o

forum member
Reaction score
That's the thread I was referring to, just makes me wonder though as that seems a hell of a lot from two very similar pieces. I mean if that gain was purely from going from a 90mm to 95mm MAF, then I'd like to see his car with a 100mm or 110mm MAF.

Look at it this way, the combined area (opened) of the 60mm GT500 tb is 4454.9 square mm, the area of an 88mm MAF (I believe the JLT is 88mm) is 6082.1 square mm, the steeda 90mm is 6361.7 square mm, the C&L 95mm MAF is 7088.2 square mm. So judging from MAF area compared to the TB area, at worst you're talking a 33% advantage, while the C&L has a 55% advantage. I just have trouble believing that the smaller MAF is going to cause that big of a restriction considering it is still considerably larger than the TB openings.
Dan

Last edited:

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
+1, 13rwhp is a heck of a gain for a 5mm difference in MAF, but then again, chad's car has heads, cams, longtubes, and most bolt ons, so I guess every bit of more air helps at that point. As they say, you're only as strong as your weakest link.

From what I've heard, when more mods are added, it creates more airflow, and the parts which are still stock that used to be almost no factor in enhancing performance now are important in that aspect. Lets take a GT500 TB for example. On a stock mustang, it may gain 5 HP, but when the car becomes heavily modded(full bolt on's/LT's/cams or more), the stock TB can no longer fully support the car's airflow needs, so the GT500 TB now will gain lets say 10 HP because it can meet the car's needs.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back